Carmichael Towers West and Carmichael Towers East were the university’s tallest buildings and were home to 1,200 undergraduate students at their peak capacity. The towers were named in memory of Oliver C. Carmichael, who served as Vanderbilt’s third chancellor from 1937 to 1946. The east towers were completed in 1966, and the west towers in 1970.
The 14-story Carmichael Towers West saw its final residents depart at the end of the spring 2019 semester. Carmichael Towers East saw its last residents at the end of the spring 2021 semester.