Research Lab Onboarding and Closing
The Environmental Health and Safety team can help you set up and manage your lab safely, provide safety training appropriate for your research group, and can assist you with required approvals through institutional governance committees and regulatory agencies, selecting personal protective equipment, completing needed safety documents, and much more.
Before beginning research using hazardous materials and equipment at Vanderbilt, please complete the following steps…
Step 1: Complete the New Research Faculty / Lab Group questionnaire.
- As you complete the questionnaire, information on trainings, committee registrations and regulatory approvals will pop-up dependent on the types of materials you plan to use. Please plan to complete these requirements.
Step 2: Complete training as outlined in the questionnaire and available on the EHS training webpage.
Step 3: Complete committee registrations and regulatory approvals as outlined in the questionnaire.
Step 4: Register for EHS Assist here.
- EHS Assist (EHSA) is a user-friendly, comprehensive, online information management system that assists VU researchers with managing their safety and compliance responsibilities and information related to the use of hazardous research materials and equipment. Please visit the EHS Assist webpage to complete registration and to access step-by-step guides and other helpful information.
If you have additional questions, please contact the EHS team at the following emails:
- EHS Assist help desk: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chemical Safety: email@example.com
- Biological Safety: VUBiosafety@vanderbilt.edu
- Radiation Safety: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Laser Safety: email@example.com
Before closing your lab and leaving Vanderbilt…
Please notify the EHS team of your upcoming closure. We will assist you with properly stabilizing and/or disposing of hazardous materials, closing down your committee and regulatory registrations, approvals, etc.