Each year 10 to 15 scholars will be selected. Eligible veterans must:
- Be an honorably discharged United States military and Coast Guard veteran.*
- Be an officer or enlisted service member or veteran (grades E-4 and above).*
- Be an applicant or admit to one of the Vanderbilt on-campus, graduate degree programs listed on our degree programs page.
*Candidates may apply while on transition leave and must be honorably discharged prior to the end of the fall semester.
Bass Scholars share their military experiences in a range of campus service activities designed to foster military-civilian exchanges and expose the greater student body to military values, character, and mission focus. The program values academic and military excellence, distinguished service, and the potential to positively impact society.
- Each scholar receives $30,000 per year intended to complement, not replace, education benefits available to individual veterans (GI Bill, Yellow Ribbon Program, etc.).
- Eligible veterans must meet admissions requirements and deadline(s) to be eligible for consideration by the Scholar Selection Committee.
- The Scholar Selection Committee will select scholars based on the excellence of military records, personal video statement, and their potential to positively impact society after graduation.
- The Bass Military Scholars Application window is open from August 1st to February 15th annually. For example, candidates interested in entering summer/fall 2023 may start applying on August 1, 2022, and have until February 15, 2023, to submit their application and required materials.
- New scholars are notified of selection by April 1st.
- Upon enrollment, the program requires Bass Scholars to participate in at least two meaningful leadership/mentorship activities each semester.