In recognition of the patriotism, scholarship and leadership qualities and capabilities of veterans, Vanderbilt University launched the Bass Military Scholars Program in 2018 to provide an award of $25,000 per year to an annual cohort of highly talented veterans pursuing graduate and professional degrees across five Vanderbilt schools:
- Law School (J.D.)
- School of Medicine (M.D.)
- School of Nursing (M.S.N.)
- Owen Graduate School of Management (MBA)
- Peabody College of Education and Human Development (M.Ed., M.P.P.)
Bass Scholars will share their military experience in a range of campus service activities designed to foster military-civilian exchanges and expose the greater student body to military values, character, and mission focus. The program values academic excellence, distinguished military service, and the potential to positively impact society after graduation.
The program is highly competitive and aims to award approximately 10 to 15 scholars annually.
The Bass Military Scholars Program is available to veterans who are admitted as first-year, full-time students to one of the Vanderbilt participating degree programs listed above and are:
- Honorably discharged United States military and Coast Guard veterans.
- An officer or enlisted service member or veteran (grades E-4 and above).
- An applicant to an on-campus, full-time participating Vanderbilt graduate/professional program (See degree programs page)*
*off-campus/online, part-time, and PhD/Doctorate degree programs are not eligible.
- The program currently awards $25,000 per year intended to complement, not replace, education benefits available to individual veterans (GI Bill, Yellow Ribbon Program, etc.).
- Applicants must apply to their school and program of interest and meet admissions requirements and deadline(s) to be eligible for consideration by the Scholar Selection Committee.
- The Scholar Selection Committee will select scholars based on the excellence of military and academic records, standardized test scores (as applicable), personal video statement, and their potential to positively impact society after graduation.
- The Bass Scholarship Application window is open from early August to mid-February of the year of entry. For example, candidates interested in entering summer/fall 2022 may start applying August 1, 2021 and have until February 15, 2022 to submit their application and required materials.
- The Scholar Selection Committee will meet in mid-March and will issue scholarship award letters by April 1st.
- Upon enrollment, the program requires Bass Scholars to participate in at least two meaningful leadership/mentorship activities each semester to engage the Vanderbilt student body and share military experiences highlighting their commitment, work ethic and character.