Home » Student-Athletes of the Month » Liz Saffold-Bowling

Liz Saffold-Bowling

Liz Saffold
Bowling
Junior
Major: Sociology

I have loved Nashville for the longest time and really didn’t think about coming here for bowling until I got a call from Coach. But once I stepped on campus, I knew I was home. Vandy has everything I wanted in a school – strong academics, a terrific bowling team, and was in the heart of the city I felt most at home. Choosing to come here was a no-brainer.

After undergrad I either would like to attend grad school (social work or guidance counselor) or participate in the program Teach for America. I believe that giving children the opportunity to succeed is the most rewarding thing one can do and I love the idea of being able to impact a child’s life however that may be.

Lots of studying, planning, and making sure that you get sleep is important in being academically successful. You want to stay on top of things and make sure you are taking care of your body so you can get your work done. But it is also important to not get wrapped up in your work and stress about every little thing – you sometimes have to take a moment and watch a few episodes of Parks and Rec on Netflix before continuing with your work.

My planner has become one of my best friends. I use colored tabs in my planner to indicate what is due during the week (like purple for papers, green for tests, blue for quizzes). Then I also put a sticky note in my planner and day to day write down what I want to accomplish, including practices, workouts, and presentations I need to go to. When it all gets crossed out or I can take a tab out of my planner, I know I can go to bed without a worry. I also try to make sure that I get sleep; because I am not productive when I have stayed up all night.

After the initial panic moment a few days before, I write up a study guide based on my notes from class. Then I go through and use a system where I memorize the information by taking a section of my guide, reading it a few times, and then writing it down on another sheet of paper with the guide covered up. If I get it wrong, I repeat this action again until I write it down perfectly from memory. It has been very successful for me. Also, I need my 8 hours of sleep, otherwise I am cranky and I will panic for no reason.

“Promise me you’ll always remember…you are BRAVER than you believe, STRONGER than you seem, and SMARTER than you think.” – Christopher Robin

Important Dates

Sept. 1: Labor Day
Sept. 12: Family Weekend
Oct. 9: Homecoming
Oct. 16-17: Fall Break

Student Athletes of the Month: