Home » Student-Athletes of the Month » Rob Lohr-Football

Rob Lohr-Football

Rob Lohr
Football
Major: Economics

I chose to attend Vanderbilt because it is a prestigious academic institution.  It also gave me the opportunity to compete at the highest level of college football by playing in the SEC.  Most importantly, I simply felt at home here.  I instantly loved the campus and the people I interacted with while I was here.

I honestly have yet to establish specific career goals because I am not exactly sure what career route I wish to take.  It is important to me that my career primarily functions to equip me with the necessities required to support myself and enable me to live comfortably.  However, when considering job prospects, I always recognize the fact that a job is a job and not necessarily a determinant of a happy life.  That being said, I hope above all that I’m passionate about my work and that, ideally, it helps improve the lives of people around me.  Such goals might sound grandiose to some, but if my experience has taught me anything, it is life is an opportunity for growth and understanding rather than for wealth ans fame.  While I am unsure about what will follow my time here at Vanderbilt, I will work hard to ensure that my ideals materialize in the work that I pursue.

Academic success at Vanderbilt is a combination of time management, prioritizing, developing a capacity to multitask, and pure effort.  This institution is extremely challenging and at times seeming unbearable; however, the key is getting ahead and using all the resources at your disposal.

By combining the rigorous academic workload of Vanderbilt with the demanding routine of a Division I sport, we are faced with seemingly insurmountable task.  So how does one manage such a demanding schedule? In an ideal world, I would say simply follow the blueprint from the previous answer; however, exhaustion from practice or a workout often deters one’s inspiration or desire to engage in any sort of academic endeavour.  So, we are faced with the daunting yet always reliable method of cramming.  Cramming is by no means ideal, but it is an unfortunate reality for many student-athletes.

Not really.  But usually involves a late night and some sort of caffeinated beverage.

“There will come a time when you believe everything is finished; that will be the beginning.”-Louis L’Amour

Important Dates

July 8: Second Summer Session begins
Aug. 8: Second Summer Session ends

Student Athletes of the Month: