Becoming a Commodore
Vanderbilt University is a community of talented and diverse staff and faculty. Your unique perspectives and life experiences are valued. We foster an environment where we can all come to work as our authentic selves and where we are all leaders.
Our hiring process is collaborative and inclusive. We encourage you to review the hiring steps a successful candidate can expect in their process.
All applicants are required to apply for positions before being entering the interviewing process. Before applying, you may find it helpful to review our Tips on Applying.
- You may apply online with a cellphone or computer.
- Please note, due to COVID-19, we are practicing social distancing and working remotely. If you need assistance, please call (615) 343- 4788 or email email@example.com.
Once you have completed an application, you will receive an email confirmation.
Tips on Applying
- If you do not have an e-mail address, please create one so you can receive updates on your application's progress.
- We recommend using the keyword search box to search for positions by skills rather than by titles. Often, the position titles used in higher education are not the same as titles used outside of higher education. Performing a keyword search by skill will bring up all job postings containing that particular skill.
- Carefully read the job postings and apply only for jobs where you meet the requirements.
- Make sure your application gives complete, up-to-date information about your education, past employment, and contact information.
- Answer all the pre-screening questions. Your answers highlight your skills as relevant to the position.
- Attachments you provide, such as a cover letter or resume, should focus on the job for which you are applying.
- If the job posting lists wage/salary range, please make sure that it meets your own wage/salary requirements.
Our Talent Consultants review each application received on behalf of the departments they support. If you are selected to move forward in the hiring process, a Talent Consultant will reach out to you to further discuss your qualifications.
If you are selected to move forward in the recruitment process, you will be contacted to initiate the next steps.
Please note, there may be several interviews throughout the interviewing process. Each search will differ depending on the position and/or department. These may include phone calls, video interviews, and pre-assessment emails. We encourage you to ask appropriate questions to help you determine if the position will be a fit for you.
For some positions, you may receive an email invitation to participate in a one-way video interview. This type of interview gives you the opportunity to truly let your personality shine and stand out from the rest of the candidates. We ask that you complete this interview within 3 days of receiving the email.
If you have been selected as a finalist, you will be asked to provide references. We use online reference-checking software. The Talent Consultant supporting the search will send you a link to enter your references. We recognize the confidential nature of reference checks; therefore, you may decide if you want to include your current manager as one of your references. We recommend that you contact your references in advance to inform them they will be receiving an email or text on your behalf to complete a reference check. Once you have entered and submitted your references, your references will then immediately receive a notification via email or text with a link to complete your references online.
Once a verbal offer is accepted, you will receive emails to complete the I-9 Process and background checks. Please note, some positions may require an education verification, professional license verification, fingerprints, Motor Vehicle Record check, social media check, or credit check. It is important to complete these steps as quickly as possible to ensure a timely process that does not inhibit your start date. For more information on I-9s, please visit I-9 at Vanderbilt.
Congratulations, once you have successfully completed the required pre-employment steps, you are invited to Orientation. The next step is to attend new hire orientation, and dependent on your role, you may also be required to attend new leader orientation. You will receive instructions from our Employee Learning and Engagement team outlining all of the details surrounding the day ahead of you.
Welcome to the Vanderbilt Community!
Vanderbilt University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.