On Unity: 2021 and Beyond

Bill Frist

From Bill Frist

"I was there really, just because of public service. I wanted to serve the country…I wanted to have an impact. Instead of taking care of one patient one-on-one, I knew if I had good policy I could take care of thousands, hundreds of thousands and, ultimately, millions of people if I got lucky and I did it right." 

- Former Senate Majority Leader and U.S. Senator from Tennessee Dr. Bill Frist 

Friends and fellow citizens,  

As 2021 comes to a close, I want to thank you for supporting the Vanderbilt Project on Unity and American Democracy through our first year. Our goal to elevate fact-based reasoning and bridge the divide of polarization isn't possible without your support.  

This year we have covered a lot of ground. From vaccine hesitancy to Afghanistan, to immigration and Congressional staffers, to municipal governments and effective lawmaking, I encourage you to check out the programs you may have missed. We are thankful for our talented team, our engaging and supportive experts, our partners who are generous with their time and resources, and, of course, our viewers.  

Before we depart for the holidays, we'd like to make one last request in the spirit of giving. Earlier this month, tragedy struck our neighboring states with deadly tornadoes. Many Americans died, and survivors were left with nothing but the clothes on their backs in the middle of winter-and right before the holidays. If you are able, we ask that you consider a donation to disaster relief efforts. Both money and blood are needed and appreciated. Helping our fellow Americans during their time of need is undoubtedly a unifying action. 

We look forward to continuing in 2022-our January event will be a live conversation on religion and politics featuring Unity Project Co-Chair Jon Meacham and The Most Rev. Michael Bruce Curry, presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church. Hoping you will take a minute to register at vu.edu/religionanddemocracy before shutting down for the holidays.

Wishing you a joyful New Year,   

Gray Sasser  

Executive Director  
The Vanderbilt Project on Unity and American Democracy