We encourage everyone to consider using alternative means of transportation. The options below can get you where you're going, while saving fuel and money and the hassle of finding parking.
- All full-time Vanderbilt employees are eligible to participate in the VU Ride Matching program. This program matches people from similar general locations who wish to share a ride to Vanderbilt. Who can join? All Vanderbilt employees and students who have Vanderbilt.edu email addresses may apply for this program.
- Other Carpool Matching Services: If you are interested in joining a carpool that is not limited to the Vanderbilt community, there are many other carpool matching services available online. Simply conduct a Google search entitled “carpool match”.
- Vanderbilt has partnered with the Transportation Management Association (TMA) to enable all employees at the university to enjoy this money saving and environmentally friendly commuting solution. Vanpooling allows riders to share on gas costs, avoid wear and tear on their personal vehicles and to save money on parking.
If you are interested in joining or forming a vanpool, please log onto: www.vanstar.com
MTA/VU Ride to Work Program
- All full-time Vanderbilt employees, and graduate students are eligible to ride to and from work on an MTA bus. Simply swipe your I.D. card upon boarding the bus. The I.D. can be used "only" for rides to and from work. Contractors, ex-employees and former graduate students are not eligible. Bus route and schedule information is available at www.nashvillemta.org or by calling (615) 862-5950.
RTA Express Buses
RTA routes and Schedules Click Here
- Discounted 20 ride RTA EXPRESS TICKETS for the RTA bus services are available to all full-time Vanderbilt employees, graduate, professional and medical students. Bus route and schedule information is available at RTA. Discounted tickets are available at VUPS Parking Services,2800 Vanderbilt Place. Free Parking is available at Lot 127 on days you must drive to work. Shuttle information is available at Chestnut Shuttle. Route and times
Available - Online sales of RTA and Music City Star tickets for pickup at Parking Service, 2800 Vanderbilt Place or Sarratt Student Center Box Office. Purchase now. Please wait until you receive an email confirmation with ticket numbers before going to pick-up tickets.
Use this form to purchase transit tickets for the Music City Star and RTA Express bus!
Additional locations to purchase transit tickets:
PASS PURCHASE LOCATIONS
Parking Services, 2800 Vanderbilt Place, Nashville, TN 37212 ...7:30 a.m.– 6:00 p.m. Please note that holiday and break hours may vary and will be posted.
Sarratt Student Center Box Office,....9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday–Saturday, and from noon to 8 p.m. on Sunday. Please note that holiday and break hours may vary and will be posted.
Music City Star
Music City Star Commuter rail service provides up to a 60% discount to all full-time Vanderbilt University and Medical Center employees. Rail stops include Lebanon, Martha, Mount Juliet, Hermitage, and Donelson. A free shuttle bus service between the Nashville Riverfront Terminal and the Vanderbilt Campus coincides with train arrivals and departures. Discount tickets are available at Parking Services. Free Parking is available at Lot 127 on days you must drive to work. Shuttle service available at Chestnut Shuttle Parking Schedule Route and time
Occasional Campus Parking
Parking Services is now offering a new $5 hangtag to University Central faculty, staff and students who primarily use alternative transportation when coming to campus. The new hangtag may be used on a day when a faculty, staff or student needs to drive his/her personal vehicle to campus instead of using alternative transportation. The hangtag is eligible for parking in the paid spaces in the Wesley Place, Terrace Place and 25th Avenue Garages or in Lots 77, 72D and 72E for one day only. University Central faculty, staff and students with a valid I.D. should come to the VUPS Parking Services, 2800 Vanderbilt Place to purchase the hangtag (more than one may be purchased at a time). Free parking is available at the Chestnut Shuttle Parking lot. Route and times
Emergency Ride Home Program
- The Emergency Ride Home service is intended to provide free emergency rides home for registered commuters who travel in Davidson, Cheatham, Dickson, Maury, Robertson, Rutherford, Sumner, Williamson or Wilson counties, who cannot ride home with their normal carpool, vanpool, train or express bus. Commuters must be pre-registered in the program and will receive a voucher for a taxi or rental car for transportation home.
- The Emergency Ride Home service is not available during periods of bad weather.
- To register for the Emergency Ride Home service, qualified applicants can call 615-862-8833, or fill out and submit the Emergency Ride Home Application form online. You may also print out and complete the application and fax it to Regional Transportation Authority: 615-862-6208.
- Zipcars are available by the hour or by the day--wheels when you want them. Gas, insurance and 180 free miles are included with every reservation. The low hourly rate includes everything you need (except a destination). Who can join? All Vanderbilt employees, students, alumni and departments may apply for the Zipcar program. Want to learn more click here.
The Vanderbilt University Department of Public Safety administers the Vandy Vans shuttle bus service at Vanderbilt University. The shuttles operate during the academic year while student are present. The hours of operation are
6:00 p.m. to 3:30 a.m. 7 days a week on designated routes. For additional information and comments
CLICK HERE .
Bicycles on Campus
Bicycles are a great way to arrive to campus, they are energy efficent and enviromentally freindly. Be sure to contact VUPD for registration. For areas to park you bicycle on campus Click here .
VanderBIKES is a student-run bicycle rental business committed to making biking an easy and accessible form of transportation on Vanderbilt s campus. VanderBIKES offers semester and year-long rental packages with maintenance included. Order your bike now at http://studentorgs.vanderbilt.edu/vanderbikes/
EV Charging Stations
Click here to find a location on campus to charge your electic vehicle.
The Chestnut lot offers free parking for faculty, staff, and students. There is a shuttle that runs from the lot to Medical Center North. For more details select the link below.