What is Green Building?
Vanderbilt has been building facilities with sustainable and green features for some time because it ensures environmentally-responsible and efficient buildings that will last for years. For example, the Student Life Center, Featheringill Hall, and Buttrick Hall each have “green” features such as atria and water-conserving bathroom fixtures.
The U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED Green Building Rating System is the nationally- accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high- performance green buildings. Organizations must apply for the certification, which is recognized as proof that a building is environmentally responsible, profitable and a healthy place to live and work. Vanderbilt University has a total of 16 LEED-Certified projects.
The Commons Center has an interactive, informational kiosk that provides details on the progressive design and construction features of The Commons Center and The Ingram Commons Residences Houses. Resource-conserving elements of The Ingram Commons are described in the presentation, including information on sign design and construction, water conservation, energy conservation and energy efficiency, indoor air quality, and waste management. A video/audio walking tour is also available for download for Mac and Windows-based mp3/iPod-type devices. This building tour will take you to highlighted LEED features around The Commons Center’s accessible areas. The walking tour lasts 20 to 25 minutes, so wear comfortable shoes! You can download the walking tour from the web-based presentation by clicking on the Building Tour menu.
- The Ingram Commons wins state Environmental Stewardship Award for Green Buildings
- The Commons Center Green Features Summary – LEED Gold Certification
- The Ingram Commons Residence Hall Green Features Summary – LEED Gold and Silver Certification
- Vanderbilt First University in Tennessee recognized for “Green” Buildings
- View the The Ingram Commons LEED Presentation on-line
- Download a Commons Center Map
- The Student Life Center was constructed with energy conservation in mind
- Green building at Vanderbilt University
- Campus Planning and Construction Sustainable Building
- The Martha Rivers Ingram Commons at Vanderbilt – Sustainable Design and Construction
- Land Use
- Adaptive Reuse
- Universities should lead in developing solutions to global challenges, chancellor says » 11.19.15
- Vanderbilt researchers helping to build a futuristic, sustainable city » 11.11.15
- Alumni Hall earns LEED Gold certification » 11.10.15
- Vanderbilt greenhouse gas emissions down almost 30 percent per square foot » 10.20.15
- NACUBO members tour campus sustainability features » 7.22.15
- Warren and Moore Colleges Earn LEED Gold Certification » 9.22.14
- A Long-Term Vision » 8.26.14