Become a Mentor
Vanderbilt University Posse Mentor Information
What does it mean to be a Posse mentor?
Posse Mentors support the Posse scholars on campus, motivate them towards graduation, and connect them to appropriate campus resources. Mentors interact with the scholars at weekly student meetings and one-on-one meetings during their first and second years. However, they continue to serve as a resource for the third and fourth years. Vanderbilt selects two people (faculty or staff) each year to share in mentor responsibilities.
- Weekly group meetings with all ten student scholars: Meetings are scheduled for two hours, following the provided Posse curriculum; however, Vanderbilt Posse mentors can make adjustments to make areas fit with the academic calendar, etc.
- Bi-weekly one-on-ones with ten student scholars: Each mentor meets with five students for about an hour every two weeks
- Weekly/Bi-weekly Posse NYC trainer/Vanderbilt Posse Mentor call: Posse NYC call to Vanderbilt Posse for assigned trainer and mentors to discuss how things are going; typically no more than thirty minute conversations
- Socials/fun activities: Once a semester – dinners out or on campus, or cookout at your home or smaller cohort-building events throughout the semester
- All Posse Campus Visit and Big Posse Meetings – Fall and Spring semesters
- PossePlus Retreat (PPR): Early spring (late January/early February) – weekend event
- Graduation: Posse reception for Posse scholar graduates
- Mentor Training: Required training for all Posse College/University new mentors in NYC in June
- Retreat: Posse Retreat in NYC/NY state for first-year student scholars and mentors in July
- On-Campus Training: Ongoing as needed
- On-Campus meetings with Posse Director and Posse Staff as needed
- To expand the pool from which top colleges and universities can recruit outstanding young leaders from diverse backgrounds
- To help these institutions build more interactive campus environments so that they can be more welcoming for students from all backgrounds
- To ensure that Posse scholars persist in their academic studies and graduate on time so they can take on leadership positions in the workforce
Want to be a Posse Mentor? Contact email@example.com
For more information on Posse, visit Posse NYC website at http://www.possefoundation.org/