VU UNDERGRAD SHADOWING
This information is intended ONLY for current Vanderbilt University UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS shadowing at a VUMC location. (If shadowing elsewhere, the HPAO is not involved.)
There are two ways for CURRENT VANDERBILT UNDERGRADUATES to shadow at VUMC. One is through the AED Pre-health Society formal Shadowing Registration. It is offered at the beginning of each fall and spring semester. AED maintains a list of many physicians who have agreed to be shadowed during the semester. Our office works with AED to ensure that students meet all of the requirements in order to be assigned a physician to shadow. Announcements about the Shadowing Registration dates will be sent to the ListServ. (Email the HPAO if you need to be added - email@example.com.)
The second way to shadow at VUMC is for a VU undergrad to locate a Vanderbilt physician on your own.
Either way, the requirements/documents are the same.
If you plan to shadow a physician during Fall 2019, we now require ELECTRONIC PAPERWORK. All shadowing paperwork should be emailed (as 1 single .pdf) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The attachment should be named - LASTNAME.FIRSTNAME – FALL 2019 SHADOWING PAPERWORK.
ALL BADGES ISSUED MUST BE RETURNED TO THE HPAO ON OR BEFORE THE EXPIRATION DATE. Do NOT return badges to the badge office. If a badge is not returned to the HPAO by the deadline, the student may be prohibited from future shadowing at Vanderbilt and/or a HOLD may be placed on the student’s record.
***** The following requirements are for ALL Vanderbilt University undergrads: *****
1) Background Check
2) Shadowing Agreement
3) Health Screening Form (including updated TB Tests  and Flu Vaccination)
4) Shadowing Information Form
5) Photocopy/Picture of Insurance Card (front and back) FOR US TO KEEP
6) Observational Experience Orientation & Safety Quiz Certificate (Score of 100)
7) Confidentiality Agreement
NOTE: Additional steps are required if shadowing in the Operating Room (More Info below)
*** IMPORTANT UPDATE ***
EVERYONE must provide ALL NEW paperwork each Academic Year.
1) BACKGROUND CHECK
(Must be within past 12 mths. The vendor charges a base fee of $36. Please NOTE there could be additional jurisdiction fees charged if your district(s) charge additional fees for your information. The background check is good for 1 year.)
NOTE: You may not receive notification from the vendor once the background check is complete. You may contact the HPAO for them to check.
If you work or volunteer at VUMC and had a background check done through a VUMC department, you must provide us with documentation. We will accept a copy of the background check clearance notification email that you should have received from HR upon completion.
Click here to request a background check.
3) HEALTH SCREENING FORM
All 6 Sections must be initialed by your Healthcare Provider.
All corresponding dates must be filled in by your Healthcare Provider.
(We will NOT accept "See Attached" for anything other than the Flu Vaccine, and approval is contingent upon providing proof once vaccinated.)
The bottom of the form must be SIGNED by the Healthcare Provider.
NOTE THESE REQUIREMENTS:
- 2 Negative TB Skin Tests -
TB testing is required. The 1st test must be within 12 months of the start date, and the 2nd test must be within 3 months of the start date.
Negative IGRA Blood Test within 3 months of the start date
Clear chest x-ray within 6 months of the start date
- Flu Vaccine must be for CURRENT academic year (Dated July 1 or later)
- Proof of 2 Varicella/Chickenpox shots OR bloodwork/titer PROOF of immunity (a history of the disease is insufficient proof)
Click here for Form (No other health forms are accepted.)
4) SHADOWING INFORMATION FORM
(If you are registering at the AED Shadowing Registration, add the physician info AT registration.)
Click here for Form
5) PROOF OF INSURANCE
Provide a paper copy of your Health Insurance Card (FRONT AND BACK ) for us to retain in our files.
(We will NOT make a copy for you!)
6) QUIZ SCORE CERTIFICATE from completed Safety Orientation Quiz
(With Score of 100%)
Click here to Review the Safety and Confidentiality Presentation
Click here to Take the Safety Orientation Quiz
7) SIGNED CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT
Click here for Agreement
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR SHADOWING IN THE OPERATING ROOM (OR)
- ONLY Juniors and Seniors will be approved to shadowing in an OR
- These are to be Observational Experiences ONLY. Students are “observing” ONLY (same as shadowing in the clinics, etc). Students should not be “scrubbing in” and do NOT need a scrub class.
ADDITIONAL STEPS FOR SHADOWING IN THE CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL OR:
- The Surgeon AND the Chief of Surgery must approve EACH date of surgery for observation.
- Click on this link to apply for approval by the Chief of Surgery:
- You will receive a confirmation email from Justin Smolder when approved.
ADDITIONAL STEPS FOR SHADOWING IN THE ADULT OR:
- Student Name
- Scrubs Size
- Last 4 Digits of Social Security Number (or unique 4 digit number) to be used as a Personal Identification Number (PIN)
- Start date of Shadowing Period
- End Date of Shadowing Period (If the student is shadowing for the entire semester, the end date would be the last day of the semester.)
Linen Services will reply giving the student a unique User ID to be used in conjunction with the 4 digit PIN.
Linen Services will have the student’s scrubs available at the scrub machines located in the 4th floor locker rooms. (VUMC Critical Care Tower - Female Locker Room # 4351 and Male Locker Room # 4357) Students will have 2 revolving “credits” for the machines. Scrubs are tracked by student ID and must be returned at the deposit machines in a timely manner.
For questions regarding ordering scrubs, please call Linen Services at (615) 343-9431.