Skip to main content


Graduate / Professional Students

Graduate and Professional students are offered merit-based aid (including, but not limited to scholarships, grants, graduate research stipends and teaching assistantships) from their academic department.  Questions regarding how to apply and offers awarded as well as disbursement of merit-based aid should be directed to your academic department. 

Loans and Work Study  

To apply for federal student loans and work study financial assistance you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

  • Select Vanderbilt University school code 003535.
  • Complete the online application using your FSA ID.
  • Please make sure to submit the correct application for the year of enrollment. 
  • Summer semester falls at the end of the prior academic year. Be sure to complete the correct FAFSA.


Eligibility is based on the difference between the amount you are expected to pay, any additional financial aid resources and the total cost of attendance. Aid offers vary according to each student's eligibility. Once eligibility has been determined, students will receive an Aid Offer Notification Letter listing the type of aid offered.

Financial aid is awarded for one academic year only, so students must re-apply (complete a new FAFSA) each year. To continue receiving assistance, students must satisfactory academic progress toward their degree and maintain minimum grade point average standards.

View our loan application instructions if you have received your award notification letter and have been offered a student loan.