Training is an important part of Vanderbilt's Export Compliance (VEC) program, and our office provides various trainings - from in-person to online - aimed at helping Vanderbilt personnel navigate the complex US export laws and regulations. Educating and empowering faculty, staff, and students - so they know when and how to ask for help - is the best way to prevent inadvertent violations.
VEC offers quick information sessions, as well as comprehensive trainings that can be customized to your needs. These are provided on an ad hoc basis, or - for certain Vanderbilt facilities and research centers - annually.
Quick Information Session (approximately 10 minutes)
This training provides general awareness about export controls and how it affects Vanderbilt University. This is a broad overview of export controls and compliance responses.
(approximately 1 hour)
This training provides a more in-depth and comprehensive discussion of export controls, to include identifying red flags in your daily activities and understanding how to classify your research items and technologies. This training can be broad or topic-oriented, depending on the types of activities and/or issues most important to you.
Topics may include:
- Fundamental Research Exclusion
- Sponsored Research and Troublesome Clauses
- Visa Deemed Exports
- International Travel and Shipments
Online trainings are provided through the CITI Program (CITI Program Training - Export Compliance). You will need to register for a CITI Program account to access the courses.
Available modules include the following:
- Introduction to Export Compliance
- Export Compliance When Using Technology in Research (ID:16804)
- Export Compliance and Distance Learning (ID: 16811)
- Export Compliance for Researchers: Part I (ID: 16801)
- Export Compliance for Researchers: Part II (ID: 16802)
- Export Compliance for Research Administrators (ID: 16803)
- Export Compliance and Biosafety (ID: 16805)
- Export Compliance for Operational Departments (ID: 16806)
- Export Compliance for International Shipping (ID: 16807)
- Export Compliance and Purchasing (ID: 16808)
- Export Compliance and International and Foreign Waters (ID: 16809)
VEC Training Resources
|Vanderbilt University Policy on Export Compliance||Link|
|VEC Export Compliance Manual||Link|
|Export Controls Decision Tree||Link|
|Basic Export Compliance Flyer||Link|
|Foreign Shipments Flyer||Link|
|International Travel Flyer||Link|
External Training Resources