Mighty Men: A Faith-Based Weight Loss Intervention to Reduce Cancer Disparities
NOTICE: At this time, all research-related activities for the Mighty Men program are postponed.
Contact the CRMH today for more information:
CRMH phone number: 615-936-3610 or by email at email@example.com
What is Mighty Men?
- Mighty Men is a 6-month faith-based weight-loss intervention for obese African American men 35-74 years old. It includes weekly meetings of small group sessions for men to engage in exercise or health education. Mighty Men is based in Nashville, TN, and Atlanta, GA.
- The main goal of Mighty Men is to help men lose weight and maintain weight loss by focusing on increasing weekly levels of exercise and leisure-time physical activity.
- In addition to weekly small group sessions, the project also uses tailored goals and SMS text messages to encourage healthy behavior changes.
- This study is currently actively involved with faith-based organizations in Nashville, TN and the metro Atlanta, GA area.
Why are we doing Mighty Men?
- African American men have the 2nd highest rate of obesity among men.
- African American men have the highest rates of dying from colon, lung, and aggressive prostate cancer, all of which are related to high rates of obesity.
- Few programs have focused on weight loss, physicial activity and diet change specifically for African American men.
- Studies have not collectively incorporated values, faith and health.
Why is a faith-based approach important?
- Knowledge is not enough for all men to make lifestyle changes; often men need support and motivation to change and maintain healthy behavior.
- Faith, friends and family are important sources of motivation for men.
- Churches are a pillar in the African American community, and places where men can engage in fellowship and motivate one another to be healthier.
Principal Investigator: Derek M. Griffith, PhD
Funding Source: American Cancer Society
Funding Period: 7/1/2016 - 6/30/2020
Mechanism: Cancer Control and Prevention: Psychosocial and Behavioral Research
Location: Nashville, TN and Atlanta, GA