“The people who do the work, design the work!”
The Facilities Department uses the LEAN process to enhance protocols and practices, eliminate what isn’t working, and streamline those protocols and practices in order to create a more efficient department.
The LEAN process focuses on:
- The department’s customer service and value.
- How to improve roadblocks or issues encountered by employees.
- How to reduces error and inefficiencies.
- Standardizing the department’s work to ensure the same product, timeframe and result every time.
- Allowing the staff members that do the work to drive the improvements.
- Draws creative and innovative solutions.
- Creates a safe space for all levels of employees to come together and provide equal input.
The department has addressed opportunities for improvement, and are working on:
- Reducing elapsed time and waste times.
- Eliminate unnecessary steps.
- Reducing duplication, backlogs, bottlenecks and batching.
- Discontinuing “we’ve always done it this way” methods.
- Clarifying steps that are done differently depending on who does it.
- Improving quality/reducing error.
- Process is easier, customer is happier, employees are satisfied.
What we look for when we LEAN:
N on-value-added extra processing
E mployees not fully utilize