Home » Trans@VU » Name Changes

Name Changes

Internal Vanderbilt Name Change
Without legal documentation, transgender and gender non-conforming students have 2 options to change their name in many (but not all) university systems. Students can either secure
an undocumented name change, which is a change to have only their legal first and middle initials show in most university systems. The second option is a chosen name change that puts the name of a students choosing on select internal university systems. There are separate processes for each. Please click the link below to receive more info on name changes:

VU Transgender Name Change Informational PDF

Legal Name Changes
In accordance with T.C.A. 29-8-102, you must be a resident of Davidson County, Tennessee to petition for a name change. Forms for an adult name change are available for downloading at Chancery Court Clerk & Master. The homepage is chanceryclerkandmaster.nashville.gov or you may call the office of the Clerk and Master at 615-862-5710 and request to have forms mailed.  Please be advised that all blanks must be legibly filled in with accurate information.

Fill out the petition form and the order form form under Petition for Name Change of Adult.

DOCUMENTS TO BRING WITH YOU to legally change your name:
1.Completed Petition form and Order form for an adult name change to be presented to a   Chancellor.
2. A copy of your birth certificate.
3. Photo identification (such as a driver’s license, passport or comparable photo identification).
4. Social security card.
5. $159.50 cash or cashiers check (no personal check accepted).  This fee covers two certified copies of the court order changing your name.

Be Advised:
Name change petitions are heard Monday- Thursday between 8:30 am and 9:00am on the 3rd floor suite 308 address is 1 Public Square, Nashville, TN (this is the location for Davidson County Residence). They encourage you to arrive at 8:10am to guarantee you are seen that day.

A student who is able to change their name through legal documentation (court order) can simply present this documentation to the office of the registrar to change their name in university systems through a “documented name change form.” Graduate students employed at the University should also submit this paperwork to HR for name preferences for employment purposes.

Legal Passport Changes
If and/or when you change your name legally and want your passport to reflect this follow this link to find out how to change your name on your passport: http://travel.state.gov/passport/