Celebrate National Farmers’ Market Week August 7-13
Read the MyVU story here.
Celebrate National Farmers’ Market Week August 7 through August 13 by taking advantage of the Vanderbilt Farmers’ Market on Thursday August 11 from 2-5pm at the Vanderbilt Medical Center Plaza or by checking out one of the many local farmers’ markets in Nashville. The Vanderbilt Farmers’ Market will have a photo contest and special giveaway to celebrate National Farmers’ Market Week!
For a complete listing of farmers’ markets available throughout all Tennessee counties, visit Pick Tennessee Products’ Farmers’ Market page.
By the beginning of 2016, there were more than 8,500 farmers markets in the U.S—that is 50% more than just five years ago. Sourcing your food from local sources, like farmers’ markets or Community-Supported Agriculture (CSA) farms, has many benefits, including:
- Access to fresh, seasonal produce that is picked at its peak nutrient load;
- Reducing transportation costs and harmful emissions associated with non-local produce;
- Cultivating a relationship between growers and consumers;
- Supporting the local economy; and
- Promoting farmland, local farmers, and their families.