Spring Break Closing Information
Spring Break extends from Saturday, February 29 – Sunday, March 8, 2020.
During the break, all undergraduate residence halls will close at 9:00 a.m., Saturday, February 29, and reopen on Sunday, March 8, at 9:00 a.m. Students needing to stay in any of the residence halls for any part of the break may do so if they register by 4:00 p.m., Friday, February 28. Students may register online at www.vanderbilt.edu/ohare by logging into the Housing Portal beginning February 15.
If inclement weather delays your departure from campus, you may register to stay in your room after the February 28 registration deadline. Log into the Student Housing Portal to register.
Please post an “Occupied” sign on your door when you are in your room during break. “Occupied” signs will be available from the area information desks. (Blakemore, Branscomb, E. Bronson Ingram, Hank Ingram, Kissam Student Center, Lewis, and Towers East).
Please note: During break, it may not be possible to provide residential staff in a particular building or to provide staffing of information desks in a particular building. Therefore, if you need to stay, you must register so we can account for you in our residence halls. In the event of an emergency, we need to know where students are staying. Students who do not register and are found in the residence halls after Saturday, February 29, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. may be subject to disciplinary action. Because card reader access will be the only means of entry, compliance with the registration procedures above is essential. In addition, remaining students should take even greater care regarding their personal safety and security.
During the break, maintenance and housekeeping personnel may be working in student rooms. Please make sure that maintenance personnel can easily access the air-handling unit by your window as well as kitchen and bathroom appliances and plumbing fixtures. Please move furniture and personal belongings away from the air handling units. Work crews will inspect rooms between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday.
BEFORE YOU LEAVE
- Turn off and unplug all electronics.
- Carry your trash to the dumpsters. Do not pile garbage or trash in the common area or bathroom where it will remain until the residence hall reopens. Clean out your recycling containers.
- Set your thermostat between the “warm” and “cool” settings. If we experience cold temperatures during the break, heat in the halls will be set at a moderate level.
- Move your bed a short distance from the wall if it is directly below a window. Condensation sometimes forms on cold windows and might find its way to bedclothes immediately below.
- Do not leave belongings on the floor of your room. If freezing temperatures cause broken pipes, flooding may occur.
- Lock your door and take your key with you!
RESIDENCE HALL SAFETY AND SECURITY
- Lock your doors at all times. Maintain a heightened awareness of security issues as there are fewer students in the residence halls.
- If you can do it safely, do not allow others to piggyback behind you into residence halls. If someone piggybacks on your entry and you feel uncomfortable or concerned about speaking to them directly, contact VUPD immediately.
- Report any suspicious persons to VUPD. Be prepared to describe the person as best as you can. Watch out for each other. If you see someone who looks like they do not belong in the residence hall, contact VUPD.
- Stay alert and TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS. If you feel uneasy, leave the area.
- Be sure to close and lock your windows, open the curtains or blinds, turn off all lights. Carry your key with you and lock your doors, including private bedrooms in suites and apartments. If you live at ground level, make certain no valuables are visible from the outside. Please move bikes into your room or another secure area to reduce risk of theft.
- Do not leave jewelry or other valuable items in your room. Vanderbilt University will make every effort to keep the residence halls secure during the break period, but cannot assume responsibility for your possessions. You should, therefore, take appropriate measures to safeguard your valuables.
- The Branscomb information desk will be staffed during the break. All other residence hall information desks will be closed.
If you have any questions, please see your HR, RA or AC for assistance. Have a great and safe break!