The pedagogy seminar is designed for students serving as Learning Assistants in various introductory and intermediate STEM and psychology courses. It uses students’ experiences in the classroom to refine their theories of education and teaching practice. The course touches on ideas central to facilitating learning, such as issues of conceptual development, questioning strategies, collaborative learning and students’ conceptions of various topics in STEM areas. It is a seminar course where students are responsible for weekly readings, in-class discussions, and assignments that are coordinated with their field experiences.
This course is intended to help students:
- Learn about how people construct knowledge in STEM areas
- Develop as a listener and facilitator in STEM discussions
- Reflect on your own pedagogical practice
- Consider issues of culture and equity in STEM learning environments
- Build community and relationships among undergraduate students in the STEM lectures
The full syllabus for Spring 2022 can be found here.