Message from the chancellor about Haiti

From Chancellor Nicholas S. Zeppos:

With last week’s devastating earthquake in Haiti, members of the Vanderbilt community continue to search for ways to help this country.

There are a number of relief efforts under way on campus and in the Nashville community, and I am grateful for the way Vanderbilt students, faculty and staff have responded, as you always do in times of need.

The needs of Haiti and its people will persist long after the story fades from the media spotlight, and I believe it is important — and imperative — that we as a great university explore what we can do to help over a sustained period in addition to addressing the immediate crisis.

I have asked Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Richard McCarty to direct such an effort, which will include educational and service components. As he develops this initiative, I urge each of you to take part in bringing together the very best Vanderbilt has to offer – the support and collective acts of goodwill of our university community. You will be hearing more about this effort in the coming days, and I thank you in advance for your participation.

For details on relief activities on campus and in the community, please visit here.

Explore Story Topics