BCC Advisory Council
The BCC Advisory Council provides fiscal and programmatic insight on key initiatives of the Bishop Joseph Johnson Black Cultural Center. Specifically, the Advisory Council is charged with:
- Providing fiscal oversight for spending from the BCC Gift Center.
- Approving programmatic spending from the Joseph H. Stevens Endowment.
- Providing input on the BCC’s programmatic and resource initiatives.
- Assisting with fundraising efforts as a “Friend of the BCC.”
- Helping the BCC to make connections with key stakeholders on campus, in Nashville, and beyond.
The Advisory Council is comprised of 11 individuals representing key constituents from the populations served by the BCC. Click on the names below to read the bio of each Council Member.
Black Faculty Representatives:
- Dr. Claudette Taaffe – African American and Diaspora Studies
- Dr. George Hill – Pathology, Microbiology, and Immunology (Emeritus)
Black Staff Representatives:
- Spruell Driver – Director for the Office of Conflict of Interest and Commitment Management
- Kirra Cruise-Streat – Senior Executive Secretary, Office of the Dean, Law School*
Black Parent Representative:
Association of Vanderbilt Black Alumni Representatives:
- Lauren Griffey (Nashville, TN) VU 2001
- Damien Charley (Franklin, TN) VU 1999
- Mason Richards (Los Angeles, CA) VU 1997*
- Edward Metoyer (Houston, TX) VU 1990*
- Tyra Searcy (New York) VU 2019* (Young Alumni Rep)
Nashville Community Representative:
* Indicates new members to the BCC Advisory Council