Earth Friendly Move In
Whether you’re a first-year or returning Commodore, we are excited to have you back on campus soon! While moving in to your room or your office, please try to minimize waste and recycle. Check out some tips below.
The VU Cardboard Crew will assist first-year students at the Commons with recycling their cardboard, Styrofoam, and plastic film wrapping. SustainVU will also host a booth at the University Resources & Service Fair in the Commons Center from 5:30pm-7:30pm, so please come and say hi!
For areas outside the Commons, please use the existing recycling containers nearest you and either place boxes in cardboard recycling containers or flatten and place between recycling container and a wall.
- Boxes: try packing in reusable totes or suitcases instead of cardboard boxes. If you can’t use reusable totes, consider using recycled cardboard boxes and recycling them when you get to campus!
- Appliances/Electronics: if you bring appliances to your dorm or office, make sure they are ENERGY STAR appliances. If you have extra lamps, make sure you use energy efficient LED bulbs!
- Fragile Items: use towels or bedding to wrap fragile items.
- Vandy FreeSwap: An online resource for the Vanderbilt Community to exchange unwanted items.
- Donate: Clothes, Refrigerators, Microwaves, and Electronics.
- Dorm Supplies: check with family or find reused good like kitchen supplies/travel mugs/etc. before buying new items.
- Packing materials: If you bring cardboard or Styrofoam onto campus, recycle it all with Cardboard Crew.
We Recycle on Campus (Map):
- Plastic & Aluminum: All clean plastic containers, beverage and food cans, and aluminum foil. NO PLASTIC BAGS, please!
- Mixed Paper: Phone books, magazines, fliers, newspapers, paper board, cereal boxes, junk mail, old papers.
- Cardboard: Remove all packaging and flatten.
- Glass: All glass bottles and jars. Glass recycling is located at the Commons Center, Crawford House, Lewis House, Carmichael Towers East & West, McTyeire, Warren & Moore College Halls.
Consider posting our Sustainability Move-In flyer in your area, available here.
For more information on recycling or sustainability at Vanderbilt, visit www.vanderbilt.edu/SustainVU or call 615.322.9022.