Earth Friendly Move In
Whether you’re a first-year or returning Commodore, we are excited to have you back on campus soon! While moving in to your room or our office, try to minimize waste and recycle. Check out some tips below.
The VU Cardboard Crew will assist first-year students at the Commons with recycling their cardboard, Styrofoam, and plastic film wrapping. FutureVU Sustainability will also host a booth at the University Resources & Service Fair in the Commons Center from 5:30pm-7:30pm and the International Student Resource and Vendor Fair in the Student Life Center Ballroom from 8:30-10:30am, so please come and say hi!
- Boxes: try packing in reusable totes or suitcases instead of cardboard boxes. If you can’t use reusable totes, consider using recycled cardboard boxes and recycling them when you get to campus!
- Appliances/Electronics: if you bring appliances to your dorm or office, make sure they are ENERGY STAR appliances. If you have extra lamps, make sure you use energy efficient LED bulbs!
- Fragile Items: use towels or bedding to wrap fragile items.
- Vandy FreeSwap: An online resource for the Vanderbilt Community to exchange unwanted items.
- Dorm Supplies: check with family or find reused good like kitchen supplies/travel mugs/etc. before buying new items.
- Packing materials: If you bring cardboard or Styrofoam onto campus, recycle it all with Cardboard Crew.
- For areas outside the Commons, please use the existing recycling containers nearest you and either place boxes in cardboard recycling containers or flatten and place between recycling container and a wall.
- See a Map or recycling locations across campus and a list of accepted materials here.