Margaret Cuninggim Women's Center May 2020 Newsletter

Having trouble viewing this email? View as a webpage.

Women's Center 2 E-Newsletter [Vanderbilt University]

May 2020 Newsletter

Virtual Screening: Mrs. America

Wednesday, May 6, 3:00 p.m. CT

Please RSVP here.

Virtual Single Parent Group

Thursday, May 7, 12:00 p.m. CT

Please sign up here.

A Conversation about Fatphobia and Body Positivity

Monday, May 11, 3:00 p.m. CT

Please RSVP here.

Virtual Parenting Group

Wednesday, May 13, 12:00 p.m. CT

Please sign up here.

Virtual Screening: Period. End of Sentence.

Tuesday, May 19, 3:00 p.m. CT

Please RSVP here.

We send our congratulations to our graduating seniors—thank you for your hard work for the Women’s Center and for the campus community during your time at Vanderbilt! We’ve asked our seniors to tell us about a favorite memory from their time working at the Women’s Center. Thank you for sharing these memories. We wish you all the best!

Elizabeth Carsello

My favorite memory was putting together the Discrimination Against Womxn in Sport Kitchen Table Series with Sunnie. I spent a lot of time thinking and researching this topic, and it was really cool for me to talk through issues with her and the other lovely people at the Women’s Center. I loved 1) being able to collaborate with people who think through discrimination in all its forms and apply it to the context of sport and 2) gaining experience teaching and leading programming about this topic because I hope to do that as part of my career in the future.

Bailey Heneghan

Working at the Women’s Center these past few years has been an incredible experience. The people I worked with became great friends and mentors of mine, and I wouldn’t trade my experience for anything. I was able to explore my passions and grow as a feminist, and the memories I made and knowledge I obtained will be things I carry with me for the rest of my life.

Madelyn Lee

My favorite thing about being a Women’s Center intern is the amazing people I have met who are so dedicated to making the world a better place and fighting injustices both on and off campus!

Lana Schwartz

My favorite thing about being an intern: I feel that I was able to expand my perspective beyond the things I could learn about sex ed on paper – having a community of interns allowed me to apply my knowledge to the college experience, and to hopefully help my peers at Vanderbilt do the same.

Melinda Staub

It is hard to choose a favorite memory of my Women’s Center internship because there are so many! One of the things I really loved was when it was warm and sunny, often the other interns and I would sit outside before or after our weekly meetings and hang out. It was nice just to be able to talk about everyday things going on in the world, our campus, and our lives with other people who viewed things with a feminist lens. I felt so supported and opened to new perspectives. One of the best things about my time as an intern is the friends I’ve made!

Amanda Youman

My favorite memories from the Women’s Center:

– Meeting Gloria Steinem with the whole team!

– Walking around campus every week with a giant bag of pads and tampons as I refilled the period boxes

– Getting to put on my own event with the help of everyone at the Women’s Center

– All the free snacks in the kitchen 🙂

– Most importantly, simply spending time with everyone around Libby’s desk and chatting about life and feminism

Congratulations to Susan Ford Wiltshire Essay Prize Winners!

The Women’s and Gender Studies Program is thrilled to announce the winners of the 2020 Susan Ford Wiltshire Prize.

The undergraduate student prize goes to Meilan Lu for the essay, “Old Father, Old Artificer: Female Sexuality and Male Authorship in Les Fleurs du mal and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.”

The graduate student prize goes to Hannah Hicks for the essay, “She Should Burn it in Ashes”: Women on Trial for Arson in Post-Civil War South Carolina.” 

AAUW Work Smart Salary Negotiation Online Workshop

This online module allows participants to go at their own pace to learn how to negotiate a job offer.

Sign up here.

Online access to magazines of interest through 6-30-20

Vanderbilt Libraries has digital access to hundreds of popular magazines through Flipster. You can search by title or genre. Some of the Women’s Center’s favorites are there, including Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop CultureBustCurve, and Strong: The Magazine for Girls.

National Nurses Week

May 6–12

To thank nurses for their hard work and dedication, consider writing a letter of appreciation or creating art to send to nurses at VUMC. Please contact womenctr@vanderbilt.edu for a mailing address.

Supporting Workers and Families During COVID-19 and Beyond

Tuesday, May 5, 2:30 p.m., CT

Please join A Better Balance Co-Presidents Dina Bakst, Sherry Leiwant, and U.S. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand for a discussion.

Register here.

Lifting Each Other Up

With Dayna Cunningham

Thursday, May 7, 11:00 a.m. CT

Register here.

Virtual Caregiver Support Group

Tuesday, May 12 & Tuesday, May 26, 12 p.m., CT

RSVP to toya.y.cobb@vanderbilt.edu for ZOOM details.

image2273314

Stop by and say hello!

Rory Dicker, Director

Brianna Nesbitt, Assistant Director

Bailey Via, Program Coordinator

Zoraida Hu, Graduate Assistant

Libby Crew, Administrative Assistant

Amanda Youman, Undergraduate Student Worker

Women’s Center  |  Anchor Link Page
(p) 615.32(2.4843)  |  womenctr@vanderbilt.edu

Vanderbilt University is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Vanderbilt®, Vanderbilt University®, V Oak Leaf Design®, Star V Design® and Anchor Down® are trademarks of The Vanderbilt University. ©2024 Vanderbilt University. All rights reserved.