Union University - B.S. in Chemistry
Vanderbilt University - Ph.D. in Chemistry
Born and raised in Czechoslovakia, Michal fulfilled his childhood dream by being able to study in the U.S. He received a BSc. in Chemistry from Union University in 1999. After college graduation Michal pursued a career path in analytical chemistry that took him from lab bench to a technical supervisory position. During this time, he developed a great appreciation for working with and testing new analytical instrumentation. In 2006 he joined the Vanderbilt Department of Chemistry PhD program. He is delighted to be a part of the McLean team, working with and developing cutting edge analytical instruments. He is a father of three and a husband of a very special wife Viera, also from Czechoslovakia.
Michal's current projects include: experimental and computational lipid characterization based on ion mobility mass spectrometry measurements, computational modeling of oligonucleotides and small drug molecules using ab initio (Gaussian 2003) and molecular dynamics (Amber 9.0) calculations, and development of an optical device for laser shaping and patterning for matrix assisted laser desorption/ionization (MALDI) and its application in imaging of tissues and cells.
- GAANN Fellow, U.S. Department of Education, 2006-2008
- NIH/SBIR Contract Graduate Research Assistant
- Vanderbilt Dissertation Enhancement Grant Recipient
- ACS Student Members Excellence in Teaching Award 2009/10
- VICB Student Award 2010 Finalist
- Student Poster Award at 2010Federation of Analytical Chemistry and Spectroscopy Societies (FACSS) Conference
- Michal Kliman, Jody May, Amina S. Woods, J. Albert Schultz, Jarrod Smith, Terry Lybrand, John McLean, "Structural Selectivity of Anhydrous Sphingolipids and Glycerophospholipids", Journal of the American Chemical Society 2010, IN PRESS.
- Enders, J.R., Kliman, M., Sundarapandian, S., McLean, J.A., 2011. Peptide and Protein Analysis using Ion Mobility-Mass Spectrometry, Wiley Books: Mass Spectrometry of Proteins and Peptides in Drug Discovery, Gross, M.L., Pramanik, B., Chen, G., eds.
- Ridenour, W.B., Kliman, M., McLean, J.A., Caprioli, R.M., 2010. Structural Characterization of Phospholipids and Peptides Directly from Tissue Sections by MALDI Traveling-Wave Ion Mobility-Mass Spectrometry, Analytical Chemistry 82(5), pp. 1881-1889.
- Michal Kliman, Niranjana Vijayakrishnan, et al., "Structural mass spectrometry analysis of lipid changes in a Drosophila epilepsy model brain", Molecular Biosystems 2010, 6, 958-966 (cover).
- Larissa S. Fenn, Michal Kliman, Ablatt Mahsut, Sophie R. Zhao, and John A.
McLean, “Characterizing Ion Mobility-Mass Spectrometry Conformation Space
for the Analysis of Complex Biological Samples”, Analytical and Bioanalytical
Chemistry 2009, 394, 235-244.
- Anthony P. Gies, Michal Kliman, John A. McLean, David M. Hercules "Characterization of Branching in Aramid Polymers Studied by MALDI-Ion Mobility/Mass Spectrometry". Macromolecules 2008, 41 (22): 8299-8301.