Home > Admission
We are delighted to invite you to apply to the 2014 Vanderbilt Summer Research Experience for Undgraduates Program in Chemical Biology sponsored by the National Science Foundation and the Vanderbilt Institute of Chemical Biology (VICB). The objective of the REU program is to introduce students to the excitement and importance of research in chemical biology through a mix of educational and research activities. This ten-week program runs from May 26 to August 1, 2014 .
Students will choose from a list of interdisciplinary projects and will be co-mentored by faculty in Chemistry and the School of Medicine. Students will be assigned to individual research groups and will broaden their horizons though a variety of experiences that include participating in a mini-symposium on drug discovery, attending seminars given by VICB faculty working across disciplinary lines, and participating in weekly discussions on topics such as scientific ethics and publication.
Our objective is to bring together a select group of 12 rising sophomore, junior, and senior chemistry, biochemistry/biology majors with high potential for careers in chemical biology research at the graduate level.
- The application deadline is February 1, 2014 for 1st round consideration and February 15, 2014 for 2nd round consideration. Selections will be made by March 1, 2014 .
- Students entering their junior or senior years are given priority.
- Undergraduates majoring in the physical or natural sciences (primarily chemistry and biology) will be given priority.
- A minimum undergraduate science GPA of 3.0 is required.
- Two letters of recommendation are required from your academic major advisor and/or from a faculty member in the sciences who has supervised your research or taught a course in which you were enrolled. Both letters should be attached to your electronic application.
- Undergraduate transcripts should be attached to your electronic application. (Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.)
- REU participants must be United States citizens.
Final decisions are made on the basis of overall potential to conduct meaningful research and a “best fit” between the research faculty and the summer participant’s background and interest.
To apply for the REU program, first create an account by clicking on the "REU Registration" button below and following the instructions. Once you do, you will be able to enter data into the application form, save it, and return to the form to change or add information, if necessary. The saved data will be accessible by Vanderbilt REU staff. When your application is complete, click "Submit to REU." This will send your final application to the Program Coordinator. You will not be able to make further changes to your application once it has been submitted.
Please Note: To increase your chances of being selected to the program, do not select multiple projects from the same faculty mentor on your application.
Click on the following "REU Registration" button to apply for the 2014 REU program: