White papers by the Vanderbilt Institute for Digital Learning (VIDL) and its university partners highlight current and future activities related to VIDL’s many-fold mission of education, research, outreach, and inreach. White papers highlight Vanderbilt activities within a larger digital learning landscape.
- Educational Data Analysis White Paper (Fisher)
- Synergies Between Learning and Teaching in the Cloud and on the Campus (forthcoming, co-authored)
- Cross-institutional Teaching Collaborations and Partnerships (forthcoming, co-authored)
Contributions by Vanderbilt Faculty, Staff, and Students
Contributions on Massive, Open, Online Courses (MOOCs)
- Bruff, D., Fisher, D., McEwen, K., & Smith, B. (2013). Wrapping a MOOC: Student Perceptions of an Experiment in Blended Learning. Journal of Online Learning and Teaching, Vol. 9, No. 2 http://jolt.merlot.org/vol9no2/bruff_0613.htm
- Cyrus, C. J. (2013). Adopting Coursera at Vanderbilt University. In Richard M. Kessner, Ed., The Online University. Champaign, IL: Common Ground Publishing. http://www.academia.edu/5475568/_Case_Study_D_Adopting_Coursera_at_Vanderbilt_University._
- Dasarathy, B., Sullivan, K., Schmidt, D. C., Fisher, D. H., Porter, A. (in press). The Past, Present, and Future of MOOCs and Their Relevance to Software Engineering. In Proceedings of the 36th International Conference on Software Engineering, Hyderabad, India May 31 - June 7, 2014.
- Evans, B. (2013). Persistence Patterns in Massive Open Online Coursers. Presentation at the Leadership, Policy, and Organzations Symposium at Peabody School of Education, Vanderbilt University, Nov 21, 2013. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeFmpmLKO0M&feature=youtu.be .
- Fisher, D. (in press). Leveraging AI Teaching in the Cloud for AI Teaching on Campus. AI Magazine, Vol. 35.
- Pope, J. (2013). Teaching to Tens of Thousands: What I Learned from Teaching a Nutrition MOOC. In Educator's Resource of the Nutrition Educators of Health Professionals, Volume 70, Issue 2 (pp. 2-5) . http://issuu.com/nehpdpg51/docs/november_2013a.
- Schmidt, D., & McCormick, Z. (2013). Producing and Delivering a Coursera MOOC on Pattern-Oriented Software Architecture for Concurrent and Networked Software. Proceedings of the 2013 Conference on Systems, Programming, & Applications: Software for Humanity. (SPLASH '13). pp. 167-176.
Contributions to Digital Education beyond and other than MOOCs
- Biswas, G., Kinnebrew, J.S., & Mack, D.L.C. (2013). How do students' learning behaviors evolve in scaffolded open-ended learning environments?. In Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Computers in Education . Bali, Indonesia. * Recipient of the Best Paper Award. See many other papers at the website of The Teachable Agents Group, led by Gautam Biswas, with John Kinnebrew and others: http://www.teachableagents.org
- Bruff, D. (2011). A Social Network Can Be a Learning Network. The Digital Campus, The Chronicle of Higher Education. Posted Nov. 6, 2011. http://chronicle.com/article/A-Social-Network-Can-Be-a/129609
- Denny, J. C., Irani, P. R., Wehbe, F. H., Smithers, J. D., Spickard, A. III (2003).The KnowledgeMap Project: Development of a Concept-Based Medical School Curriculum Database, AMIA Annual Symposium Proceedings: 195–199. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1480333/
- Fisher, D., & Fox, A., (2014). Report on the CCC-CRA Workshop on Multidisciplinary Research for Online Education, Feb 11-12, 2013 Washington, DC http://www.cra.org/ccc/files/docs/CCC-MROE-Report.pdf
- Fishman, B., Konstantopoulos, S., Kubitskey, B., Vath, R., Park, G., Johnson, H., & Edelson, D. C. (2013). Comparing the Impact of Online and Face-to-Face Professional Development in the Context of Curriculum Implementation. Journal of Teacher Education, published online July 5, 2013. http://jte.sagepub.com/content/early/2013/05/24/0022487113494413.full.pdf+html.
- Kinnebrew, J.S., & Biswas, G. (2011). Modeling and Measuring Self-Regulated Learning in Teachable Agent Environments. Journal of e-Learning and Knowledge Society, 7(2), 19-35. http://www.teachableagents.org/papers/2011/Kinnebrew_JeLKS_2011.pdf
- Sengupta, P., Kinnebrew, J.S., Basu, S., Biswas, G., & Clark, D. (2013). Integrating Computational Thinking with K-12 Science Education Using Agent-based Computation: A Theoretical Framework. Education and Information Technologies, 18(2), 351-380. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10639-012-9240-x
Vanderbilt Referenced in the Literature
- Griffiths, R. (2013). MOOCs in the Classroom. Briefing Paper, Ithaca S+R. http://www.sr.ithaka.org/blog-individual/mooc-classroom.
- Hollands, F. M., & Tirtthali, D. (2014). MOOCs: Expectations and Reality. Center for Benefit-Cost Studies of Education, Teachers College, Columbia University. May 2014. http://cbcse.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/MOOCs_Expectations_and_Reality.pdf.
Additional Comprehensive Scientific and Policy Reports
- A Roadmap for Education Technology, Prepared by Beverly Park Woolf (2010). Prepared for the Computing Community Consortium of the Computing Research Association, Full report at http://www.cra.org/ccc/files/docs/groe/GROE%20Roadmap%20for%20Education%20Technology%20Final%20Report.pdf; short brochure at http://www.cra.org/ccc/files/docs/groe/Roadmap%20for%20Education%20Technology%20-%20Summary%20Brochure.pdf
- Enhancing Teaching and Learning Through Educational Data Mining and Learning Analytics, Prepared by Marie Bienkowski, Mingyu Feng, & Barbara Means. Prepared for U.S. Department of Education, Office of Educational Technology http://www.cra.org/ccc/files/docs/learning-analytics-ed.pdf
- Evaluation of Evidence-Based Practices in Online Learning: A Meta-Analysis and Review of Online Learning Studies, Prepared by Barbara Means, Yukie Toyama, Robert Murphy, Marianne Bakia, & Karla Jones. Prepared for U.S. Department of Education, Office of Planning, Evaluation and Policy Development, Washington, DC, May 2009, 93 pp http://www.breining.edu/USDEDistLearning.htm
- Expanding Evidence Approaches for Learning in a Digital World, U.S. Department of Education, Office of Educational Technology 2013 http://www.ed.gov/edblogs/technology/evidence-framework/
- Transforming American Education: Learning Powered by Technology, National Education Technology Plan 2010, U.S. Department of Education, Office of Educational Technology http://www.ed.gov/technology/netp-2010
Selected Institutions, Societies, Agencies
- The Association for Computational Creativity http://computationalcreativity.net/
- Dynamic Learning Maps http://dynamiclearningmaps.org/assessment/whatisadlm.html
- International Educational Data Mining Society http://www.educationaldatamining.org/
- International Society of the Learning Sciences http://www.isls.org/
- MyData: Personal Learning Profile http://www.ed.gov/edblogs/technology/mydata/
- The Open University http://www.open.ac.uk/
- Society for Learning Analytics Research http://www.solaresearch.org
Selected Journals (others sponsored by societies above)
- International Journal for Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning http://ijcscl.org/
- Journal of Learning Analytics http://www.solaresearch.org/journal/
- Journal of Online Engineering http://online-journals.org/index.php/i-joe/index
- Journal of Online Learning and Teaching http://jolt.merlot.org/
Selected Conferences (others sponsored by societies above)
- ACM Conference on Learning @ Scale http://learningatscale.acm.org/
- ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Collaborative Work and Social Computing http://cscw.acm.org/
- Coursera Partners Conference http://conference.coursera.org
- European MOOCs Stakeholders Conference (2014) http://www.emoocs2014.eu
- IEEE International Conference on MOOC, Innovation and Technology in Education http://mite2013.poornima.org
- MoocShop: a research-oriented workshop on massive open online courses http://www.moocshop.org
- The MOOC Research Conference http://www.moocresearch.com/mooc-conference