Eating Disorder Support at Vanderbilt
Eating disorders are mental health conditions that can affect people of all genders, ages, cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, and body shapes. They are often multifactorial in nature and can develop as a result of sociocultural, emotional, and biological factors. Disordered eating, body image struggles, and eating disorders affect many students on college campuses.
- To learn more about eating disorders, check out the National Eating Disorder Association
- Click here for resources on how to support a friend that is struggling with an eating disorder
You are not alone. If you are struggling, or if you are concerned about someone else, please reach out to supportive resources on campus. Vanderbilt has a number of helpful offices, where staff will compassionately listen to your concerns and offer guidance, including:
- The Office of Student Care Coordination (OSCC)
- The University Counseling Center (UCC)
- Student Health Center (SHC)
- Campus Dining
- The Women’s Center* – The Women’s Center offers The Body Project workshop that focuses on body acceptance, however is not meant to be a substitute for eating disorder treatment.
How to seek support at VU:
- If you or a friend are interested in seeking support for disordered eating or an eating disorder, please contact the OSCC and make an appointment with a care coordinator. During this initial appointment, the care coordinator will assess your support needs and connect you with the appropriate resources, such as a therapist or medical provider at the UCC, a physician or dietician at the Student Health Center, or possibly a community provider. Treatment options range from short-term, outpatient care at the UCC, to longer-term outpatient care in the community, or assistance with referrals to higher levels of care when needed. Individually tailored plans are made for every student.
- Visit the OSCC website to learn more and schedule your intake with a care coordinator.
- Contact the Vanderbilt Campus Dining Dietitian Emily Suttle, RD, LDN: firstname.lastname@example.org