NB: The application window is currently closed. If you are interested in applying to become a tutor, you can register here to be contacted when hiring begins for Spring 2020 and/or AY 2020-2021. You may also consult this page for updated information about our call for applicants.
Now Hiring Tutors for AY 2019-2020! (Apply by Wednesday, April 17)
Tutoring Services is now accepting applications for undergraduate and graduate tutors. The deadline for application is Wednesday, April 17.
Tutoring is a great way to hone your own knowledge of a subject and to build valuable interpersonal communication skills. We're glad that you're considering joining our team of dedicated tutors!
Tutoring Services offers appointment-based assistance to all currently enrolled Vanderbilt students who wish to enhance their academic performance in classes offered by the College of Arts and Science in the following departments: Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Economics, Mathematics, and Physics. We also offer a number of academic support services in partnership with the Bishop Joseph Johnson Black Cultural Center.
For the 2019-2020 academic year, we are seeking excellent students to work with their peers in the following classes:
- Chemistry 1601/1602 (General Chemistry)
- Chemistry 2211/2212 and Chemistry 2221/2222 (Organic Chemistry)
- Mathematics 1100, 1200/1201, and 1300/1301 (Survey of Calculus, Single-Variable Calculus I and II, Accelerated Single-Variable Calculus I and II)
- Biological Sciences 1510/1511 (Introduction to Biological Sciences)
- Physics 1501/1502 and 1601/1602 (Introductory Physics for the Life Sciences I and II, General Physics I and II)
- Economics 1010/1020 (Principles of Macroeconomics and Principles of Microeconomics)
The Position & Job Responsibilities
Our tutors offer one-on-one learning support to their fellow students in subjects in which the tutors have already excelled themselves. Our tutors also have the option of helping to facilitate our popular Group Study Sessions and Weekly Study Groups.
Pay: Undergraduate tutors begin at $10/hour, while graduate tutors will earn $15/hour.
Training: Tutoring Services tutors benefit from paid training and professional development activities while taking part in a collaborative community of dedicated peer and near-peer educators. Mandatory training for the 2019-2020 AY will take place in August just before classes resume. Tutors are also required to attend staff meetings (held monthly).
Time commitment: Tutors commit to 4-8 hours/week, in addition to which they make time to attend three staff meetings per semester. We need tutors who can commit to working for a whole academic year (although the number of hours worked per week can be adjusted between fall and spring semesters).
Location: We require that all one-on-one tutoring sessions and group sessions take place at the Collaborative Learning Suite (1801 Edgehill Avenue, Suite 112).
How do I become a tutor?
We are currently soliciting applications for tutors to begin in August 2019.
Current deadline: Applications are due by Wednesday, April 17, 2019. We will begin reviewing applications on a rolling basis.
- Fill out the online Tutor Application Form. (The form, which includes two short answer essay questions, will allow you the option to save and return to an incomplete application - to use this option, select "Save and Return Later" at the bottom of the page and record the return Survey Code generated.)
- Request a copy of your transcript be sent to Tutoring Services. (See instructions on application form.)
- After a first round of review, applicants may be invited to schedule a short, in-person interview.
Questions? Please contact Tutoring Services via email.
What is the Collaborative Learning Suite?
Great question! Beginning in Fall 2017, Tutoring Services came under the auspices of the Writing Studio. The Collaborative Learning Suite (1801 Edgehill Avenue, Suite 112) is our shared space. Both our tutors and clients benefit from our 10+ years of success at promoting collaborative, individualized learning--not to mention the atmosphere of fun and dedication exuded by our amazing staff of undergraduate and graduate writing consultants and subject tutors.