Map the System
REGISTRATION FOR MAP THE SYSTEM 2021 IS NOW CLOSED.
Learn to Solve Social & Environmental Problems Differently
Map the System is a global social innovation competition that trains students to use systems thinking to understand and help address timely social and environmental problems. Participating Vanderbilt students are guided through an interactive, fast-paced 8-week systems thinking curriculum. The curriculum is designed to help students successfully complete all required deliverables to compete in the Map the System Competition.
By participating in Map the System, you will:
- Learn more about a social or environmental challenge you care about;
- Understand how to develop meaningful solutions to complex problems;
- Learn about meaningful careers in different sectors and industries;
- If you choose and are approved, use your project to fulfill Immersion or capstone projects, or support graduate or undergraduate research;
- Strengthen research, presentation, and public speaking skills;
- Establish relationships with students, faculty, staff and professionals, both within and beyond the Vanderbilt community;
- Compete for the opportunity to represent Vanderbilt University at the Map the System Global Finals, held in June at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom.
Key Dates and Timeline, Spring 2021
- Registration Open: November 2, 2020 – January 31, 2021
- Vanderbilt 8-week Program Runs: February 5 – April 2, 2021
- MTS Project Submissions Due: April 2, 2021
- Vanderbilt On-campus competition & winner announced: April 15, 2021
- Global Finals in Oxford, United Kingdom: June 9-11, 2021
register via oxford university
If you’d like to participate in Vanderbilt’s Map the System program, you will register through Oxford University. Registration for the Spring 2021 competition is now closed.
Map the System is open to ALL Vanderbilt University undergraduate and graduate students. The ideal participant is someone who is:
- From any major, school, or department at Vanderbilt;
- Passionate about social and/or environmental change or has experience with a particular societal challenge;
- Interested in, or curious about, building a career in social impact, social entrepreneurship, advocacy, or policy;
- Seeking an internship or professional opportunity related to a specific social, economic, or environmental challenge; and/or,
- Contemplating a new social enterprise or non-profit business model but wants to better understand how their proposed solution fits within, or provides an alternative to, existing initiatives.
What Are Team Requirements?
Teams can be comprised of undergraduate and graduate students who are currently enrolled at Vanderbilt University. Teams may have up to 5 members. Individuals are allowed to register as sole competitors, but collaboration with teammates is strongly encouraged. Teams may also include members who are not part of the Vanderbilt community. However, each team must have at least one currently enrolled Vanderbilt University student.
What DO I HAVE TO do TO participate?
First you need to register to participate in Vanderbilt’s Map the System program. See above for guidance. Once you’re registered, you will be required to complete three systems research deliverables in order to participate in the Vanderbilt on-campus competition. Throughout the program, you’ll be guided through a process that will help you complete each deliverable by the required deadline. The deliverables you’ll complete are:
- A visual infographic of your problem landscape and system
- A 2,000 word summary of research findings
- A bibliography of sources used during research
- A 5-minute presentation
Additional Information from Oxford University
- Submission Guidelines & Tips for Selecting Your Topic
- Examples of Past Global Finalists & Sample Projects
- Frequently Asked Questions
Still have questions about participating? Contact Hanes Motsinger at firstname.lastname@example.org!