In response to the global COVID-19 crisis, the Wond’ry is working to generate and find effective and innovative solutions to critical issues. Check this page often for updates.
COVID-19 Virtual Screening Tool
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, researchers at Vanderbilt University have developed a free, web-based, COVID-19 “virtual-self screening” tool.
COVID-19 is a respiratory illness caused by a novel virus. This site can serve as a free risk assessment for patients and providers.
COVID-19 Research and Innovation Funding
Vanderbilt University has established a new COVID-19 Research and Innovation Fund. The fund enables donations to support research and innovation projects to fight COVID-19.
Vanderbilt University is also keeping a list of funding opportunities for COVID-19 research.
Commodore Open-Source Ventilator
The Commodore Open-Source Ventilator is a low-cost, easy-to-build ventilator option for emergency usage in times of crisis, using everyday materials that are readily available almost everywhere. Plans and assembly instructions for the device are being provided at VandyVents.com.
Disclaimer: This device has not been tested on a live human and does not currently have FDA approval. This device is currently only intended for patients who are sedated, intubated, and chemically paralyzed, and should only be operated under the care of an experienced physician. No material on this site is intended to provide medical advice. All designs are intended for investigational use only. Vandyvents.com does not represent any official policies or procedures of Vanderbilt University. The material on this site is provided with no warranties explicit or implied.
Homemade PPE Masks
Face masks are an important element of protection when interacting with others during an infectious disease pandemic. However, the current crisis is causing a shortage of mask availability for healthcare professionals. To combat this, one option is for individuals to create their own masks. In collaboration with Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the group MedThreads Volunteers Nashville has developed an instructional video showing how to create your own face mask.
- June 1, 2020 – Vanderbilt University screening tool assesses COVID-19 risk
- April 29, 2020 – New COVID-19 Research and Innovation Fund engages community in Vanderbilt’s fight against coronavirus
- April 28, 2020 – Vanderbilt engineers continue work on ventilators to prepare for worst-case COVID-19 scenario
- April 28, 2020 – Ask an Expert: How will the pandemic change workplaces?
- April 15, 2020 – COVID-19 project funding opportunities captured on two VU websites
- April 13, 2020 – Coming together to make a difference in this fight against COVID-19
- April 11, 2020 – Vanderbilt doctors, engineers develop functional ventilator design to combat shortage
- April 9, 2020 – Vanderbilt engineers start building DIY ventilators, seeking FDA approval
- April 8, 2020 – Tennessee companies innovate in effort to defeat coronavirus
- April 8, 2020 – Tennessee companies pivot, innovate in the warlike effort to defeat coronavirus
- April 7, 2020 Engineers built a homemade ventilator that can serve as ‘last resort’ for people in need
- March 27, 2020 – Vanderbilt engineers design breathing system for VUMC if ventilators run out
- March 27, 2020 – VU engineers and VUMC doctors team up for open-source ventilator design
- March 23, 2020 – Local Sewists Make Masks for Health Care Workers Battling COVID-19
Feed the Front Line Nashville is working to keep local restaurants in business and keep local healthcare workers fed nourishing meals during the crisis.