Conserving water on campus preserves a valuable natural resource and lessens Vanderbilt’s environmental impact while saving the university thousands of dollars each year. VU is saving approximately 50 million gallons of water annually, or over 1,600,000 bathtubs, from bathroom retrofits and groundwater reuse projects completed on campus so far!
VU Plant Operations and VUMC Plant Services have been systematically retrofitting restrooms throughout the institution. Since 2007, Plant Operations has retrofitted over 3,500 bathroom fixtures producing saving over 50 million gallons of water and $175,000 annually on Vanderbilt’s main campus. VU’s water consumption has decreased by 65%.
Continue reading to learn more about water on Vanderbilt’s campus!
- Water Conservation on Campus
- Water Drop Conservation Project
- Importance of Water
- Water and Climate Change
- Additional Water Resources
Water Conservation Tips
To do your part to save water:
- Wash full, rather than partial, loads of clothes;
- Take efficient showers;
- Turn off the water when brushing your teeth; and
- Report water leaks and dripping faucets to your Area Maintenance Supervisor (AMS) – find your AMS and their contact information on OHARE’s website.
- Turn off the water when it is not in use;
- Report water leaks, broken toilets, and dripping faucets; on campus contact Plant Operations (4-9675) and in the medical center contact Plant Services (2-2041); and
- Wash full, rather than partial, loads of labware, dishes, or clothes.
- Take efficient showers and install low-flow showerheads and low-flow aerators on faucets;
- Turn off the water when brushing your teeth;
- Wash full, rather than partial, loads of dishes and clothes; and
- Install a rain barrel at home to use rainwater for yard and garden irrigation.
- Holiday Greening Tips » 12.21.16
- FutureVU enters spring semester with focus on inclusion, sustainability and transportation » 12.15.16
- A ‘bright’ future at Vanderbilt: VU tennis center on forefront of solar energy technology on campus » 11.30.16
- Mobile Lab Ambassador Application Open » 11.29.16
- Resolving the food-energy-water trilemma » 1.26.16
- Vanderbilt researchers helping to build a futuristic, sustainable city » 11.11.15
- Alumni Hall earns LEED Gold certification » 11.10.15