SEMO Sustainability Intern Position for Summer 2014
The sustainability intern will assist SEMO in coordinating and promoting sustainability programs across campus and the medical center. The sustainability intern will assist primarily with recycling projects such as:
- rightsizing waste and recycling dumpster hauls during the summer season,
- finalizing an online inventory of recycling containers available on the SustainVU website,
- expanding campus cardboard recycling infrastructure,
- implementing a new recycling structure during football games,
- designing interactive outreach tools for VU’s recycling education, which will include:
- new materials for the 2014 football season sustainability challenge,
- an interactive, online Residential Greening Guide with an accompanying student-friendly app or pdf,
- an improved first-year student move-in flyer, and
- a move-out flyer.
The intern will also assist with improving the graphics and format of VU’s greenhouse gas emissions inventory and developing a student-focused energy conservation companion video to the award-winning Recycling Makes Sense! video. The intern will also assist with general sustainability functions, such as website and social media management, data entry, responding to routine questions, and developing new website material.
The position pays $11/hour, full-time between 8:00am-4:30pm, Monday through Friday from mid-May through mid-August. Must be a current Vanderbilt student over Summer 2014 or returning in Fall 2014.
Applicants for the sustainability intern position should have the following:
- Availability for the majority of the summer with no long vacation or travel planned;
- Superior analytical and organizational skills and attention to detail;
- An interest in recycling, sustainability, environmental management, and resource conservation;
- The ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in writing;
- Excellent computer skills with website management familiarity, various database, word processing, and spreadsheet software;
- Well-developed internet research skills; and
- Creative online/interactive and graphic design capabilities, such as mobile app development, are strongly preferred. Examples of app or online pdf development, or report design would be very helpful.
In-person interviews will be required of final candidates, and potential submittal of unofficial transcripts and/or writing samples may be requested.