Academics & Curriculum
Vanderbilt’s curriculum offers many opportunities to engage with subject matters related to sustainability and the environment.
The idea of advancing trans-institutional learning through the development of “cross-college” teaching was one of the cornerstones of the Academic Strategic Plan. From that vision, University Courses were brought to life, launching a program that promotes new and creative trans-institutional learning. These courses leverage the natural synergies across Vanderbilt’s schools and colleges, providing faculty the opportunity to reach beyond departmental boundaries to deliver innovative classes on significant subjects. Courses in the past have included sustainability-focused themes, although offerings change every semester.
The Cumberland Project
Modeled on Emory University’s Piedmont Project and Northern Arizona University’s Ponderosa Project, the Cumberland Project has taken various forms but is intended as a workshop resource for vibrant teaching and learning communities around sustainability themes. Emphasis has been given to a wide array of environmental studies across the natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities. This program was started in 2011-2013 and revived in 2017.
Seminars at The Martha Rivers Ingram Commons at Vanderbilt
First-year students from any of the four undergraduate schools (Arts and Science, Blair, Engineering, and Peabody) can sign-up for special topics seminars that will be held in the classrooms of The Ingram Commons. Course offerings related to environmental sustainability are frequently included.
Undergraduate and graduate programs that offer sustainability-focused courses include:
- American Studies Program
- Communication of Science and Technology Program
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Department of Biology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Earth & Environmental Sciences
- Department of Sociology
- Environmental Law Program
- Enviromental and Sustainability Studies
- School of Engineering
- Public Policy Studies Program
Interdisciplinary Graduate Programs and Centers
- Center for Environmental Management Studies
- Climate Change Research Network
- Center for Community Studies
- Center for Molecular Toxicology
- EOS project
- Vanderbilt University Forum for Research and Teaching of Sustainability
- Vanderbilt Institute for Energy and the Environment
- Vanderbilt Law School