Student Organizations | Dean of Students

Home » Finances » How to Make Deposits

How to Make Deposits

 Deposit Funds

An organization may collect money through fundraisers, dues, ticket sales, or similar activities. Funds (cash and checks) collected in this manner should be deposited as soon after collection as possible. Organization monies should not be kept in your personal possession.

Making deposits into your RSO’s Center:

  1. Fill out the RSO Deposit Form here: RSO DEPOSIT FORM
  2. Print 2 PDF versions of the form. The first form should be submitted with your deposit and the second form will be initialed by the person receiving the deposit and returned to you for your records.
  3. Bring the form to the Sarratt front desk between 8:30 am and 4 pm (Mon-Fri) to give to Mark Leners ( for processing.
  4. All checks should be made out to Vanderbilt University; in the memo line please write the name of the RSO.
  5. When a check is being deposited, you will need to write the following in the “Endorsement” area on the back of the check: Name of the RSO, Account Number, RSO Center Number (10-digit center number).
  6. Mark Leners will keep one deposit form and initial the second one for your records as proof of deposit.
  7. After 4:00 PM staff at the Sarratt front desk can initial your RSO Deposit Form and place the deposit in the safe for processing the next business day.

Tax Exemption

As an RSO, your organization is considered to be a part of Vanderbilt and as such is afforded use of Vanderbilt’s tax exemption.  In order to make purchases, you must physically have the Tax Exempt Certificate with you at the time of the purchase whether you are using your own money or the p-card.  If you are using your own money, please note that you may not receive the exemption (depending on the vendor). If required by the vendor to pay sales tax, you will NOT be reimbursed for taxes you paid on supplies for your organization. A link to the Tax Exempt Certificate is here: Tax Exempt