Student leaders & advisors need the answers to two very important questions:
1. How much money is in my account?
2. Why is there that much money in my account?
The answers to these questions are at your fingertips!
In order to find out how much money is in your account, you must have access to eDog. To request access, you must know your organization’s center number. This is stored in the documents section of your Anchor Link page. Only the President, Treasurer, and Advisor have access to eDog.
If you are one of the above positions, but do not have access please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Once you have been granted access, you can log into Vanderbilt University E-Business (see steps below).
From there, follow these steps:
1. Follow this link to find the eBiz homepage.
2. Select the eDog option as pictured below.
3. The link will take you to this General Ledger Data Menu as pictured below.
To find out how much money is in your account, look at the Monthly Accounting Reports tab.
Follow these steps:
1. Select Monthly Accounting Reports on the General Ledger Menu (pictured above).
2. The Monthly Accounting Reports page will come up (see image below). Highlight the center number for your organization. You will only see organizations for which you have access.
3. Choose the fiscal year you want to be in. Vanderbilt has a July-June fiscal year FY15 = July 2014-June 2015. FY16= July 2015- June 2016.
4. Choose the month you want to look at.
5. Scroll down and highlight report MD90B – Center Funds Balance Report.
6. Click Submit.
7. The report will appear as a downloaded Word document.
8. Open it and look for the line titled Total Fund Balance. A minus sign after the number indicates a positive cash balance. If there is not a dash, that means there is a negative balance.
To view all transactions and trace how your organization’s money was spent, you will need to review the Detailed Transaction Data.
Follow these steps:
1. When at the General Ledger Data Menu, select the Detailed Transaction Menu option. Here you can access every transaction your organization has made during any fiscal period going back around 10 years.
2. Highlight the center number for your organization. You will only see organizations for which you have access.
3. Choose the fiscal year you want to be in. Vanderbilt has a July – June fiscal year.
4. Choose which monthly data you want to look at (up to all 12 months at one time).
5. Choose how you want to view the data (i.e. browser for a quick look-up or excel to be able to manipulate the data). It is recommended that you select the following columns to display:
Center number, Account Number, Account Name, Effective Date, Posted Amount, Fiscal Year (if your intent is to look at multiple Fiscal years), Trans Description, Expanded Trans Descr, Journal Source
*As you become more acquainted with this tool you can learn to utilize the Additional Selection Criteria.
6. Click Submit (see image below): the data will be downloaded to either your browser or into a savable Excel spreadsheet.
NOTE: Accounts in the 10000, 20000 and 90000 ranges do not affect your student group finances so they can be ignored if using the browser function or deleted if using excel.
For further assistance working with your organization’s financial data, please contact Greg Swanson.