Alix Roy-Swimming

Posted by on Thursday, June 23, 2022 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Alix Roy
Swimming
Child Development, Psychology

I chose Vanderbilt because of the amazing culture the team brought as well as the stellar education I knew would propel my future.

After my undergrad I will be completing my M.Ed in Child Studies at Vanderbilt’s Peabody College with the goal of becoming a Child Life Specialist. In this role I will help children cope with stress, illness, trauma, etc. as well as assist families in developing coping strategies surrounding hospitalization.

Figure out how to best apply yourself; there are so many opportunities available at Vanderbilt. Never be afraid to ask for help whether it’s from a teammate, peer, academic advisor, professor, or one of the many resources accessible to student-athletes.

Every day I set aside time to work on assignments due during the week or larger projects I know will be due soon. I always try my hardest to use my time in the pool to de-stress and focus on the sport that I love rather than think about what assignments I need to complete.

Dunkin Donuts (Medium iced coffee with 2 pumps of butter pecan and oat milk).

Who do you consider to be an unsung hero in your academic success at Vanderbilt? And Why?

At Vanderbilt, there have been so many people who have helped me succeed. Dr. Boles has truly been an admirable professor. She has supported me through my child life journey and is always accessible, sending resources and setting up opportunities for her students to grow academically and career wise.

Favorite quote?

“You’ll never do a whole lot unless you’re brave enough to try.” – Dolly Parton