Auston Kim-Women’s Golf

Posted by on Friday, May 20, 2022 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Auston Kim
Women’s Golf
Political Science

I chose Vanderbilt because of its exceptional balance for student-athletes. It is a prestigious university with top tier athletics. I knew I’d get all aspects of the student-athlete experience and wanted the challenge.

I will turn professional once our season ends. After my golf career, I want to go to law school.

It takes a lot of hard work and desire. Hard work is obvious, but desire takes one’s efforts a step further. It’s the desire to improve in all aspects of life. This includes doing the little things that maximize chances of success down the road.

I like scheduling out my day and prioritizing tasks. Being a student-athlete was the biggest challenge I’ve ever encountered. I also learned that discipline is a major part of success. It’s as simple as doing your job every day.

Like everyone else, preparation makes me confident. Based on my major, this meant highlighting important passages and rereading relevant texts. Another way I prepared was pretending to explain content at an elementary school level. This helped me understand the material in simpler terms.

Who do you consider to be an unsung hero in your academic success at Vanderbilt? And Why?

Dr. Nate Bell. I owe all of my success to Nate. None of this would’ve been possible without him. He has been the greatest supporter, on and off the course. I’ve been so lucky to receive his guidance throughout my time here.

Favorite quote?

“Nothing worth having comes easy.” – Teddy Roosevelt