Justin Harris-Football

Posted by on Wednesday, April 20, 2022 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Justin Harris
Football
Junior
Economics

I chose Vanderbilt to challenge myself. Like a lot of people say, we’re competing against the best on the field and in the classroom and I love competition.

After playing in the NFL, I want to stay around the game of football to coach. I want to impact young lives the way coaches have impacted mine (especially my father).

What it takes to be successful in the classroom here is no different than what it takes to be successful in your sport. All you need is a good mindset and work ethic. If you have that then you’ve already conquered most of the challenge.

It’s all about time management. Scheduling out your busy day ahead of time makes it much easier to not waste idle time or forget about assignments, tests, etc.

For me, I do my best work when having a study partner or group. Some people might understand certain topics better so I feel like teaching and learning from others right before a test helps me understand the material the best.

Who do you consider to be an unsung hero in your academic success at Vanderbilt? And Why?

The entire academic staff for all the hard work they do but especially Matt and Eugene who have been my advisors over the years. Also all of my friends, professors, and coaches who have helped me and pushed me along the way.

Favorite quote?

“Work hard right now while you’re young, so life can be easy when you’re my age” – Eddie Harris Jr. AKA Dad