Kaira Brown-Women’s Track

Posted by on Wednesday, December 15, 2021 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Kaira Brown
Women’s Track
Junior
Public Policy Studies and Latino & Latina Studies

We always talk about the degree, the city, and the SEC and while those are really great reasons to go to Vanderbilt, what made me pick this school was the kind and supportive community I found on my visit. Everyone on the track team was really great, but so were the students and professors I got to meet around main campus.

The two things I’m sure of are that I want to help people and I want a job where I’m constantly learning better ways to do that. With that said, I’d love to work as a legislative director for a Congressperson someday or perhaps some kind of non-profit role.

A lot of hard work and not being ashamed to ask for help. Some people think just because everyone here is smart that they have to do it all by themselves, but asking for help from classmates, TA’s, professor, and tutors makes the journey a lot easier and you make a lot more friends along the way.

With a very detailed, color-coded Google Calendar and planner. Every Saturday, I make a list of all the things I need to get done in a week and then try to add two things that I can do just for fun like watching TV or baking brownies. Even with a busy schedule, it’s really important to make time for self care or just taking some time to relax.

I don’t think I have a test-taking ritual but I try to get a good night’s sleep the night before and usually end up reviewing my notes one last time over breakfast.

Who do you consider to be an unsung hero in your academic success at Vanderbilt? And Why?

I think every professor I had in my freshman fall who supported me and pushed me to be better as I was just getting my footing in college. They made it clear that I was going to have to step up my game, but they also gave me a lot of guidance and tools so that I could meet their expectations. 

Favorite quote?

Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better. – Dr. Maya Angelou