Lauren Thomas-Women’s Swimming

Posted by on Thursday, October 7, 2021 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Lauren Thomas
Women’s Swimming
Graduate Student
Finance

Vanderbilt was always my dream school. The minute I stepped on campus for my recruiting trip, I felt a sense of belonging. There is no compromise on academic excellence for competitive athletics here. The sense of community and support surrounding the athletics environment made it a no-brainer to attend and compete for the university. Throughout my different coursework, campus involvements, and swimming-related ventures, I have met individuals from all over the world that shared similar interests. If I had to pick again, I would come to Vanderbilt a hundred times over.

Catalyze change in organizations that are making a positive impact on society with an entry-level role in consulting. One day, I also hope to start a business and grow it into a major company. With each step in my career, I want to ensure what I am doing is changing the surrounding environment for the better.

Intrinsic motivation, sacrifice, collaboration, humility, and willingness to raise your hand for help sooner rather than later.

Each day I make a list of priorities. I try to achieve everything that must be done today and ensure there is plenty to be carried over into the next day. I once heard if you’re completing everything on your list, you’re not setting high enough goals for yourself. Early on, I lost sight of taking care of myself trying to do everything. Once I focused on things that brought me the most joy, the demands of my schedule began to feel increasingly enjoyable.

Coffee, last minute read over of notes, and listening to Spotify. A morning swim always helps the scores.

Who do you consider to be an unsung hero in your academic success at Vanderbilt? And Why?

My Student Services Coordinator, Nate Bell. He was the one who guided me to explore the potential of graduating in three years, so that I could pursue a year-long master’s program at Owen. He is consistently supportive of individual goals that are unique to each student-athlete. I am so grateful for his support throughout both of my degrees!

Favorite quote?

“You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can change where you are and change the ending.” – C.S. Lewis