Tonner DeBeer-Swimming

Posted by on Tuesday, January 5, 2021 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Tonner DeBeer
Swimming
Junior
Major: Medicine, Health & Society; Psychology

I chose to attend Vanderbilt because it had everything I was looking for in a university; great and challenging academics, so many resources to help students, an amazing city, competitive athletics in the SEC and a very welcoming and supporting group of women on the swim team.

My goal is to attend medical school and practice as a physician one day, although I’m unsure of what field yet.

To be academically successful at Vanderbilt, it takes tremendous sacrifice and discipline to get all of your work and studying done and do it well, along with staying active in class and always asking questions when needed. Going to office hours and developing relationships with professors I’ve found very helpful and rewarding too, especially when it comes to missing class for athletic competitions. My support system in the swim team, especially the upperclassmen who have more experience, has been one of the most helpful resources for advice. Especially as an athlete, time management and prioritizing is crucial, but it’s also important to take care of yourself and find ways to relieve stress every once in a while to make sure you stay motivated.

I manage my demanding schedule by staying organized, using calendars and planners and prioritizing my work so I’m not scrambling to submit assignments at the last minute. It’s difficult to not procrastinate, but when I don’t, it often gives me free time to take mental breaks which are necessary. My goal is always to stay ahead instead of playing catch up and when I stick to this, it makes managing my busy schedule much easier.

Before a test, I eat a snack or meal so I’m not hungry and quickly look over my notes 30 minutes or so before the exam. After that, I usually put my phone away to clear my head and take deep breaths right before the exam starts. This has always helped me to be confident and recognize all the work and studying I’ve done to prepare.

Favorite quote?

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.” – Vince Lombardi