Hugh Fisher-Baseball

Posted by on Friday, July 31, 2020 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Hugh Fisher
Baseball
Major: Human & Organizational Development

I chose to attend Vanderbilt because of its high academic standards, the positive reputation surrounding the baseball program, its coaches and player development, and the city of Nashville.

Ever since I was a young boy I have always wanted to play Major League Baseball; that is still my career goal. When I can no longer play, I will remain involved in the game in some capacity, whether as a coach, working with a program or as a fan.

Time management is key to success at Vandy. Prioritizing your work first, devising a plan, completing tasks in small increments and sticking to that approach are important. You cannot wait to the last minute and be successful. You have to stay on top of assignments and manage time around them.

My academic advisor, Sara, has been extremely helpful when it comes to managing my busy schedule. She helps me decide that plan I mentioned. We take each class and devise a plan for how to approach assignments and studying for exams across the full semester. 

I don’t really have a ritual for tests, I just try to prepare a few days in advance so I’m not rushing to study at the last minute. Throughout the semester if there is a concept that I’m not fully understanding, I get help from the professor, a tutor or fellow student. Those harder concepts I study more closely to be sure I don’t have to cram before a test.

Favorite quote?

“Work like there is someone working 24-hours a day to take it away from you.” – Mark Cuban