Blair McDonald-Soccer

Posted by on Wednesday, July 1, 2020 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Blair McDonald
Soccer
Junior
Major: Communication Studies

Throughout high school, I strived to attend a university with academic and athletic prowess. During the recruitment process, I looked for a school that would challenge me on and off the field, pushing me to develop critical skills that I would need to be successful in the future. Vanderbilt checked all of my boxes!

I have an interest in pursuing a career in law as well as broadcast journalism. Following my undergrad, I plan to attend law school.

I’ve learned over the past two years that time-management is an essential part of the Vanderbilt experience. We all have insanely busy schedules, so it’s important to take the time each week to write out any assignments, tests, meetings, and other commitments. Personally, I rely heavily on my planners to keep me organized and focused.  With good time-management skills, the overwhelming Vanderbilt workload becomes far more manageable, which allows for extra time to balance all of our other responsibilities.

Every Sunday evening, I take the time to go through my entire schedule for the week. I list out exactly what I need to accomplish both academically and athletically because I feel more focused when I can visualize my priorities for the week. As a result, my planners and the ‘Reminders’ app on my phone have become essential tools for me to manage my time.

If I have a friend in the class, I try to briefly meet with them the night before to talk through one or two of the harder ideas. On the morning of a test, I wake up early to look over my notes, reviewing key concepts one last time. I’ll then make sure to eat a filling breakfast and say a final prayer before I begin the test.

What are your favorite quotes?

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight.” – Proverbs 3:5-6

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”- Philippians 4:13