Louise Yu-Women’s Golf

Posted by on Wednesday, June 3, 2020 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Louise Yu
Women’s Golf
Major: Human & Organizational Development

I chose to attend Vanderbilt because it was one of my top choices as a recruit. The institution was at a high academic level and the women’s golf program at Vanderbilt is one of the best in the nation. I was looking for the right combination of both academics and athletics and found myself finding what I wanted to study at Vanderbilt. I fell in love with the athletic facilities and the support athletics had to offer. Another deciding factor was that my older brother attended Vanderbilt as well, so I was familiar with the campus.

After graduating, I plan on using my extra year of eligibility and pursue a one-year graduate program in either marketing or finance with the Owen Business School at Vanderbilt. Afterward, I plan on pursuing a professional golf career or pursuing a career in consulting or finance.

To be academically successful at Vanderbilt, it is important to manage your time wisely throughout the day. For class, it is helpful to be in smaller classes in order to build a relationship with the professor and spend time learning material outside of class through office hours or help sessions that are provided from the course. To be academically successful, I found that sitting towards the front of the class and managing my time on the weekends to do schoolwork helped the most for me as a busy student-athlete.

In order to be a successful student-athlete, I make sure to plan out my days/weeks beforehand on a calendar to see what event I have at what time. This helps me to be proactive in my schoolwork as well as punctual when it comes to being on time for workouts or practice. Usually, throughout the day, I find time either between classes or at night to have some downtime reset my mind for the next day.

Before I take a test, I tend to call my parents when I walk to class just to take my mind off of it right before going into the exam.

Favorite quote?

“What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals” – Zig Ziglar