Nemo Sanchez-Swimming

Posted by on Monday, May 4, 2020 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Nemo Sanchez
Swimming
Major: Cinema & Media Arts; Communication Studies

I chose to attend Vanderbilt because it was a feeling I had when I visited that it was where I was meant to be. It had the perfect combination of academics and athletics. It’s also in Nashville and not too far from home!

I just want to be at a point where I enjoy what I am doing and have a good balance between my personal life and work. My aspiration is to be a filmmaker but I enjoy doing so many things I don’t think I’ll be able to stick to one career nor do I want to.

It takes discipline. Just like we need discipline to be successful in sports, we need discipline to be successful academically.

On days that I know I have a lot of things going on, I like to write everything down including my free time (even if it’s just 15 minutes). It just helps me visualize my day better and realize that sometimes it’s not as busy as I think it would be. What’s most important is not to wear yourself out doing things you are passionate about. It’s okay not to be involved in absolutely everything or say yes when you want to say no. I’ve learned to dedicate time to things I am passionate about so even when my schedule is busy I don’t think of it as demanding but as a chance to get to do something I love. On the other hand, a lot of what’s on my schedule is what I’ve been doing my whole life so you just get used to it and at one point it just doesn’t seem too demanding anymore.

I don’t think I have a ritual. I try to stay as relaxed as possible, maybe have some coffee with me, and sometimes I choose not to look through material the day of the test to feel more confident that I know it, but that all depends on how much studying I get done the night before.

Favorite quote?

“Live for a purpose, not a position.” – Rich Wilkerson Jr.