Harrison Thomas-Men’s Cross Country

Posted by on Tuesday, October 1, 2019 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Harrison Thomas
Men’s Cross Country
Major: Biomedical Engineering

I chose Vanderbilt for its combination of great academics and athletics.  I felt like there was no better place to challenge myself in both those areas, and I couldn’t pass up the amazing location of the school.

I am currently in the process of applying to medical school to pursue a career as a physician.  Although I’m not exactly sure what specialty I ultimately want to go into, I am currently leaning towards the field of pediatrics.

I think finding academic success at Vanderbilt requires realizing you can’t do everything on your own.  At some point, you’ll have to ask for help with an assignment or studying for an exam, and I think the sooner you ask for help, the better.  It is also really important to find a consistent support group that can be there for you in the challenging times of the semester.

I have learned to manage my schedule by understanding how to set my priorities.  This has allowed me to set boundaries for myself to balance schoolwork with time to spend with friends and relax.  I also rely heavily on my Google Calendar which has all my daily obligations scheduled and  includes a task list of all the things I need to get done.

I don’t really have a set pre-test ritual; what I do before a test depends heavily on the class.  The one constant is a cup of coffee in the morning.

“But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint.”  -Isaiah 40:31