Abbey Carlson-Women’s Golf

Posted by on Tuesday, April 30, 2019 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Abbey Carlson
Women’s Golf
Junior
Major: Mechanical Engineering

I chose Vanderbilt because of the unique ability to both compete in the SEC while still getting an education from one of the top schools in the nation!

After school I’m looking to find a position working in the Aerospace industry. I’m very interested in design as it pertains to human interaction, safety, and reliability and would love to find a position in the field where I can focus on this in a manner geared towards either commercial or general aviation aircraft.

I would say some of the most important aspects of being academically successful at Vanderbilt are staying organized and prioritizing tasks as needed but also finding time to take a step back and take breaks from school to avoid the burnout that can happen if you’re not careful.

My planner and my calendar are my lifesavers. At the beginning of each week I take the time to write out a detailed schedule of everything going on that week and come up with a general idea of when things need to get done but also when I’ll have downtime that can be used to rest and just catch up on the aspects of life outside of athletics and academics.

The last day before a test I  try to create a detailed study guide in multi-colored pens with everything I think will be important or relevant  to that section of information. I’ve found writing things out to be one of the best ways for me to retain information and the colored pens just help bring a little bit of joy to what can often be a stressful timeframe.

“The difference between an ordeal and an adventure is attitude.” – Bob Bitchin

“We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one.” – Steven Moffat