Nia Dorsey-Soccer

Posted by on Thursday, February 28, 2019 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Nia Dorsey
Soccer
Junior
Major: Medicine, Health & Society

I chose to attend Vanderbilt because of the competitive academic and athletic experience, as well as the city of Nashville. I wanted to attend a school in a city, and Vanderbilt had the perfect combination of both the city and campus feel. I knew that I would be challenged athletically and that I could compete at a very high level in my soccer career. Lastly, the academic stature of Vanderbilt was always a top priority.

I want to work at a healthcare company after college because I’m interested in the business side of health. A long-term goal of mine is to have my own non-profit or to have a big role in one.

It takes a lot of motivation and commitment to be academically successful at Vanderbilt. I’ve learned that it’s never about being the smartest in the room. It’s your work ethic that really matters.

I manage my demanding schedule by carving out specific times to do homework, to study, to relax, or to spend time with friends when I’m not playing soccer. It’s very important to me to have a balance of work and relaxation so that I don’t feel exhausted all of the time.

Right before a test I usually just glance over my study materials for a minute or two, and then I just trust myself and my preparation. I also ALWAYS chew gum during tests… peppermint 5 gum is the best.

“If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” – Martin Luther King Jr.