Emily Smith-Women’s Tennis

Posted by on Tuesday, November 6, 2018 in Student-Athletes of the Month.

Emily Smith
Women’s Tennis
Major: Communication Studies

I chose to attend Vanderbilt because it was an opportunity I literally couldn’t say no to. The academics, the team, the feel of it just felt like where I had to be.

My career goals are probably to go into Marketing and PR. Maybe end up doing something PR related in sports. I’m trying to just get my foot in the door right now.

To be academically successful at Vanderbilt you have to be driven but you also have to have balance. Time management is key for me so that I can get done everything I need to get done and still have time to pursue other things I’m passionate about outside of school.

I manage my schedule by trying to plan ahead of time when I know things are going to be busy to try and dedicate that time to my school and not have too much else going on so I can really just focus and get it done.

Before taking a test I usually make sure I have a good night’s sleep and good breakfast and try to get to the classroom early to review my notes so that I don’t feel rushed

“Hard work guarantees you nothing, but without it you don’t stand a chance.” – Alex Rodriguez